ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

At last: MP3 Lossless!!!

<< < (2/16) > >>

Curt:
Oh, you are all such a bunch of square minded wankers, afraid of any improvements not coming from your favourites! Your arguments are soo...., welll, I better shut up.
 :P 

Sorry!

Of course this format is not perfect, but neither are any other formats! MP3HD is of course technical superior to FLAC (which is not a common format) because the compression makes the MP3HD file at least 30 percent smaller than a FLAC file, while the quality of the MP3HD sound fully will match the FLAC. The download links also offer a converter, so if you think the MP3HD file still is too large for your sister's portable player or your kitchen speakers, you may convert it into a normally sized MP3 file. But you still have the lossless file for your hi-fi set-up.

FYI: the new format is displayed the normal way: MP3 (not 'MP3HD').

f0dder:
Of course this format is not perfect, but neither are any other formats! MP3HD is of course technical superior to FLAC (which is not a common format) because the compression makes the MP3HD file at least 30 percent smaller than a FLAC file, while the quality of the MP3HD sound fully will match the FLAC.
-Curt (October 06, 2009, 10:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
11-Pink Floyd-High Hopes.flac - 46.1MB
11-Pink Floyd-High Hopes.mp3 - 48.6MB

And that's sticking to 192kbps MP3 quality for the non-lossless format :-\

...I think I'll keep my FLACs. It also kinda feels nice to be using an open format and all, and the encode time is faster.

Curt:
11-Pink Floyd-High Hopes.mp3 - 48.6MB-f0dder (October 06, 2009, 10:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

- quite a surprise, and not in line with what I've read.

But as I said, I'll shut up.

f0dder:
11-Pink Floyd-High Hopes.mp3 - 48.6MB-f0dder (October 06, 2009, 10:21 AM)
--- End quote ---

- quite a surprise, and not in line with what I've read.-Curt (October 06, 2009, 10:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
It's going to depend on the type of the music - perhaps FLAC is just better at encoding stuff that has high dynamic range than mp3hd? Only tried that one track, and can't be bothered with some evil range-compressed industrial right now :) (gotta head off for work in ~30min).

But as I said, I'll shut up.-Curt (October 06, 2009, 10:30 AM)
--- End quote ---
Please don't, it's always interesting to hear about new stuff, even if I'm not going to be a fan of it :)

Curt:
- okay, at least I will talk long enough to tell that there are 38 more HD music files to get, one at a time, from http://www.all4mp3.com/Listenmp3HD.aspx

Also I should say that half of the files listed at the previous link, are surround files!

Finally, if some of you didn't follow any of the links, I should tell that there is a plugin for WinAmp (Windows only).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version