topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 5:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Almost nobody owns JUST MACS  (Read 4864 times)

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Almost nobody owns JUST MACS
« on: October 05, 2009, 02:36 PM »
500x_pc-to-mac-switch.jpg

NPD's Household Penetration Study found a 3% uptick in Mac households for 2009. This makes sense! What's surprising (or not) is that of the 12% of homes with a Mac, less than 2% are Mac-exclusive.

The 2% figure is extrapolated from NPD's less direct assessment:

[A]pproximately 12 percent of all U.S. computer owning households own an Apple computer, up from 9 percent in 2008. While Apple ownership is growing, those households are decidedly in favor of mixed system environments. Of those 12 percent, nearly 85 percent also own a Windows-based PC.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Almost nobody owns JUST MACS
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 03:35 PM »
From that figure I'd be inclined to suspect that approximately 3% of all American households have a 2009 college graduate who's currently living at home with his parents.

Blast this bloody economy! ;D

SlackerOn2.gif

<Edit: couldn't resist adding the picture.>
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 08:48 PM by 40hz »

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 03:48 PM »
Almost nobody owns JUST MACS, or just Windows. Own what you want, just don't keep raising my taxes to buy proprietary software for government/public administration.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 04:10 PM »
Almost nobody owns JUST MACS, or just Windows. Own what you want, just don't keep raising my taxes to buy proprietary software for government/public administration.
You'd rather have them raised for training people to use, maintain and patch opensource alternatives? :D
- carpe noctem

Josh

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 04:24 PM »
You'd rather have them raised for training people to use, maintain and patch opensource alternatives? :D

My sentiments exactly! Because we all know that the "free support" you get from most open source programs support forums (I say forums because very few have dedicated or paid options for phone/email support) borders on abuse in most forums where the person has a question about something that makes the program look bad.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 04:26 PM by Josh »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 05:44 PM »

My sentiments exactly! Because we all know that the "free support" you get from most open source programs support forums (I say forums because very few have dedicated or paid options for phone/email support) borders on abuse in most forums where the person has a question about something that makes the program look bad.

Actually, I'd rather have people stop endlessly debating all these so-called 'issues' and just start writing some decent code.

Because from what I've seen, in my lowly role as a network support engineer, neither camp has much over the other one when it comes to product quality. Individual products (be they proprietary or FOSS) may be excellent, but the overall state of software development - and support - leaves a lot to be desired.

;)

« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 05:47 PM by 40hz »