topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:20 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: BlueScreenView by NirSoft - find driver causing blue screen  (Read 17817 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
BlueScreenView

It that was the message [IRQ_LESS_OR_EQUAL...] it is more than likely a faulty driver.

If you want to track down past BSODs try http://www.nirsoft.n...lue_screen_view.html which allows you to look at past BSODs and lists the drivers involved.

I have found this incredibly useful for troubleshooting.

bluescreenview2.gifBlueScreenView by NirSoft - find driver causing blue screen

http://www.nirsoft.n...lue_screen_view.html
Tom

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: BlueScreenView by NirSoft - find driver causing blue screen
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2009, 06:46 PM »
Thanks, I've had this for a few weeks and agree it's yet another Nirsoft gem-- unbelievably useful tool.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2009, 10:47 PM »
0×0000000A: IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
Typically due to faulty or incompatible hardware or software. Usually a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel Interrupt Request Level (IRQL) that was too high. A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have a IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own.

This stop error,IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, is probably the most common stop error experienced from users. Basically a device driver was reading or writing a memory address that is either not assigned to the device driver to use or , as you will see, is no longer available.

Likely caused by an installed driver belonging to a device you since have removed from your system or faulty RAM. Most likely hardware: NICs and memory modules. NICs can include virtual machine network interfaces.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 06:35 AM »
I have experienced this error in the past with faulty RAM, out of date video and audio drivers and Netgear WiFi drivers.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 06:47 AM »
I had five Blue Screens, in September!!!!! Thanks to NirSofer's little gem I have now removed AimerSoft Music Converter (with a DRM-removing driver) and Ashampoo Burning Studio 9.12. Time will show if this was the proper solution, but because I tend to suspect AimerSoft, (they don't use a driver of their own, but a previous version of another company's driver), I am already planning to (re-)install (the next version of) Burning Studio 9.

BlueScreen-DumpFile.gifBlueScreenView by NirSoft - find driver causing blue screen

« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 06:49 AM by Curt »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 08:37 AM »
Curt, you mean the new 9.12 version of Ashampoo caused a BSOD? i was about to install it, now i'm having 2nd thoughts.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 11:10 AM »
I have checked further, within the last half an hour, and it seems to me that Ashampo probably has nothing to do with my Blue Screens. By coincidence (?) it was installed the day the problems began, but a thorough check of the minidump shows no further connection. Hmm.. "connection"...: The problem seemed to be my TCP/IP driver, which the burner to my (lack of) understanding has nothing to do with. But a DRM-remover probably has; so that is why I removed AimerSoft  which was installed two days before the problems began.

I am going to re-install Ashampoo.  :up:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 11:48 AM »
unfortunately in my case I had an error report for the Dr.Watson debugger last year - MS's 'solution' was to disable it - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949820 (I remember at the time it was seizing up and created a multi GB log file).
That means I dont have any reports in BlueScreenView since May 2008 :(
- still, it has directed my towards an Audio driver so I'll have to check that out..
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 02:02 PM »
it has directed my towards an Audio driver

I've had numerous problems with RealTek High Definition Audio drivers at various times.

Usually occurred right after I loaded a "recommended" update.

Might try rolling them back if you've recently updated. :Thmbsup:

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 02:27 PM »
it has directed my towards an Audio driver

I've had numerous problems with RealTek High Definition Audio drivers at various times.

Usually occurred right after I loaded a "recommended" update.

Might try rolling them back if you've recently updated. :Thmbsup:

I thought it actually was a realtek sound card I have that I have never been happy with (I could remove the card & use onboard sound but dont like messing with (=opening) the machine).
but I'm not sure:

The problem file is:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\cmaudio.sys
version is  5.12.01.0646

It's not quite clear - various sites say it's a soundcard driver, e.g. here

cmedia is here:
http://www.cmedia.com.tw/drivers.html

[edit] added corrected :-[ the version number
[edit2] there doesnt appear to be a more recent version, I presume it's related to the Realtek soundcard, which hasnt had any updates since I installed the already old driver from cd that came with it (2 years ago now I think..)
[edit3] times like this I hate computers :( - it could be the first offer on the list in the cmedia page linked to above. I might do a backup(=image) and try it out...
Tom
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 02:48 PM by tomos »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 03:52 PM »
I thought it actually was a realtek sound card I have that I have never been happy with (I could remove the card & use onboard sound but dont like messing with (=opening) the machine).

Why not just disable it in the Device Manager to test your theory? :)

realtek.gifBlueScreenView by NirSoft - find driver causing blue screen
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 03:54 PM by 40hz »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 05:44 PM »
...I had an error report for the Dr.Watson debugger last year - .... That means I don't have any reports in BlueScreenView since May 2008 .

You can have Resplendence WhoCrashed (free or $35) which will upgrade your machine from Dr.Watson to Windows Debugging Package (WinDbg) from Microsoft. If this is not already installed, WhoCrashed will download and extract the package automatically.

https://www.donation....msg142601#msg142601

free: http://www.resplende...e.com/whocrashed.htm
pro: http://www.resplende...m/whocrashed_pro.htm

WhoCrashed runs on the following operating systems:

# Windows 2008 Server # Windows 2008 Server x64 editions
# Windows Vista (including Service Pack 1) # Windows Vista, x64 editions (including Service Pack 1)
# Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or greater) # Windows XP x64 edition (all service packs)
# Windows Server 2003 (all service packs) # Windows Server 2003 x64 editions (all service packs)
# Windows Server 2000 (with Update Rollup 1 and Service Pack 4)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 07:21 AM »
I have checked further, within the last half an hour, and it seems to me that Ashampo probably has nothing to do with my Blue Screens. ...

I am going to re-install Ashampoo.  :up:

thanks for the vote of confidence, Curt. :)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 10:10 AM »

The good thing about Realtek is that they seem to take their audio drivers seriously. They are always releasing new driver versions so they seem to be serious about stomping bugs. If one driver version gives you a problem rest assured in a month or so there'll be a new version to try.

I wish other sound card manufacturers were so diligent in their releases.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 10:17 AM »
cmedia is here:
http://www.cmedia.com.tw/drivers.html

[edit] added corrected :-[ the version number
[edit2] there doesnt appear to be a more recent version, I presume it's related to the Realtek soundcard, which hasnt had any updates since I installed the already old driver from cd that came with it (2 years ago now I think..)

I'm a little confused, Tomos. You say there are CMedia audio drivers installed on your system, but keep saying you have a Realtek soundcard. Those are two different companies & a Realtek soundcard isn't going to use CMedia drivers.

Both companies, however, do most of their business with OEM manufacturers and due to agreements they have with PC and motherboard manufacturers some drivers for some soundcards never appear on the Realtek & CMedia sites. In these cases you have to go to the site of your computer or motherboard maker and download the drivers from there.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 10:36 AM »
I'm a little confused, Tomos. You say there are CMedia audio drivers installed on your system, but keep saying you have a Realtek soundcard. Those are two different companies & a Realtek soundcard isn't going to use CMedia drivers.

apologies for the confusion - the soundcard is TerraTec (I got it wrong earlier)
The onboard sound on the mobo is from Realtek

I tried what 40hz suggested & disabled the Terratec drivers and have yet to reboot
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 12:06 PM »
The good thing about Realtek is that they seem to take their audio drivers seriously. They are always releasing new driver versions so they seem to be serious about stomping bugs. If one driver version gives you a problem rest assured in a month or so there'll be a new version to try.

Very true. But I still wish they'd stop releasing so many new drivers - and more completely debug the ones they already have. ;D

Seriously. Do they really need to issue new drivers as frequently as they are wont to do? I'm not a big fan of the 'perpetual beta' philosophy when it comes to software I pay for.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 12:08 PM by 40hz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 03:13 PM »
one more question :-\

First a summary:
1) there is onboard sound on the mobo but when I got the PC I got a cheap soundcard put in it.
2) soundcard driver is (I believe) causing trouble (and always has).
3) I disabled soundcard driver/software (can't figure now how to get the onboard hardware working)

the question is - will I have to open the box & disconnect the soundcard (or do anything else?) before the mobo sounds can be made to work ?
thanks for any help :-*
Tom

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 07:00 PM »
Usually onboard sound can be enabled/disabled in the BIOS.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 08:17 PM »
Seriously. Do they really need to issue new drivers as frequently as they are wont to do? I'm not a big fan of the 'perpetual beta' philosophy when it comes to software I pay for.

Sorry, but I'm an upgrade junkie. The more releases the better as far as I'm concerned. :D

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 10:15 PM »
The more releases the better as far as I'm concerned.
Speaking as a recidivist, I have to concur with that!