topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:09 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: My Linkshelf  (Read 6528 times)

rockin4459

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
My Linkshelf
« on: January 04, 2006, 02:13 AM »
Take your web links with you to any computer with linkshelf at www.linkshelf.com . I like it so much i set up a separate account to share with my friends. It is, and will be a work in progress. please do not alter it. if there is a link you want to share put under links my friends would like me to see, and maybe i will put it in a category.
The user name is rodneyslinks, and the password is getlinks. I hope you enjoy it.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: My Linkshelf
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 08:00 AM »
Hi Folks,

Linkshelf has been really a great tool.  I probably have close to a 1000 urls on the 9 tabs of one page, under sections like Travel, Software, Bible.  The quickness of modification and grouping is excellent.  Clearly there are extras that could be there, and various enhancements, it looks like there is no development. However it is very fine for all the basics as is.

Note: We have discussed a lot of these start page programs on one or two other threads. Others I have given special consideration include 43marks, symbaloo, and netvibes and I always think of trying to use one of those as well.  However, most such programs (43marks one possible exception) are too interested in a pleasant look and feel at the expense of the ultra-practical day-to-day heads-down usage.

Now, I do run into a glitch where I try to start up a new account under a different user:

"Please enable your cookies, Linkshelf requires cookies"

This occurs with every browser and on more than one puter. When cookies are enabled. I will have to try this on a puter that simply does not have a Linkshelf account at all and see if takes then.  Like at a library.  Or maybe if I wipe out the existing Linkshelf cookie ?  Yet it happens even on a clean browser that does not load my account.

Another problem is that occasionally the Linkshelf server is down (rarely).

Or it does not load my Firefox 3.6 properly.
"Loading Linkshelf 2.0 Please wait.."

Right now that is occurring, yet the other browsers load fine !  Donationcoder is all I have found for Linkshelf discussion and support so far.

What would be really neat would be a -->

Linkshelf --> (my web pages)

converter.  I still would use Linkshelf, since that would have my latest modifications and there is no need to use my homebase version (Linkshelf has no lag in normal use).  

However in a pinch I could load my own pages and I never would have to be concerned about the longterm viability of Linkshelf.

Shalom,
Steven Avery
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 08:02 AM by Steven Avery »

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 10:16 AM »
Hi Folks,

For saving the data, I probably can copy the HTML to my own website home page as backup.  It looks pretty generic, I'll have to give it a try.

My problem with not loading the Linkshelf page in Firefox .. happening with one user out of two on the system.  So there seems to be something interacting on the user level (it can be the first one loaded, or not, that is not the issue).  A bit strange, maybe there is something to tweak in that user's Firefox file that would help, I'll try clearing the cookie next time there.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 10:59 PM »
Hi,

Today my Linkshelf account vanished.  And the "Forgot Password" function does not recognize the user name or email account.

I have been using Xerpi more, partly because of uncertainty about who is Linkshelf, also more flexibility in design.  However, I would prefer not to lose my Linkshelf info.

Any thoughts ?  I am doing a bit with WhoIs to try to contact .. somebody.

Anybody else have an account that is .. or is not .. having problems ?

Steven  

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 10:58 AM »
Hi,

This fixed itself after a couple of days. 

Steven