ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Complaint: FeedDemon is now adware, but does not disclose it

<< < (4/8) > >>

vegas:
First, just to respond to the initial topic, I don't have an issue with anyone complaining that we should've done more to make it clear that FeedDemon is ad-ware (unless you purchase a serial number).  I thought we'd done quite a bit to make that clear, but Marek is correct - we didn't mention that in the software license, and we don't state that on the download page, and perhaps we should've.  I guess what gets me is the tone of the original complaint, which said that I'd "lied down with dogs," and suggested that we were purposely not disclosing the fact that the unlicensed FeedDemon displays ads, that we may be sharing your Google login (we're not - that would be suicide) and automatically subscribing you to feeds even when you chose not to.  I wouldn't have survived for so long in this business if I didn't treat customers with respect, and I get ruffled when someone suggests otherwise.
-nbradbury (October 01, 2009, 07:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

Should've? I don't think it's ever too late. Is it? I still see no mention of ads or ad-ware on the product page or a download page. Does anyone else? Is there now a visible disclaimer in the installer?  I don't see it.  To me it seems the original post and its tone was right on.  I would like to know what the quite a bit to make that clear part was.  It couldn't be much clearer than representing it as the ad-ware (license optional) software that it is, on the main product page and within the installer like other respectable programs do.  Thanks to the OP on this one.

Jibz:
Thought this might be of interest:

http://nick.typepad.com/blog/2010/11/coming-soon-feeddemon-40-lite-and-pro.html

This new version also returns to FeedDemon's roots as a paid application.  The final release of FeedDemon 4.0 will come in two flavors – Pro and Lite – which offer different feature sets.  FeedDemon Pro will offer the full feature set and will require purchasing a serial number (price TDB).  If you purchased a serial number for FeedDemon 3.0, there will be a nice discount when upgrading to the new Pro version.  A free ad-supported Lite version with a reduced feature set will also be available.-
--- End quote ---

So FD has come full circle .. from paid software to free to adware and back to paid again.

Personally I wouldn't mind paying for it, except for the fact that he is only going to offer an upgrade discount to people who 'tipped' $10 to remove the adds in v3 and not to the people who actually paid full price for FD back at v2.

J-Mac:
Same here, Jibz. I paid for a license for FeedDemon 2 - two licenses actually as I also purchased a Windows Mobile license shortly thereafter. If I am locked out of any discount then I'll just keep living without FeedDemon, as I am now.

Thanks!

Jim

Darwin:
Nick Bradbury addressed the issue of v2 license holders receiving upgrade discounts in the comments section of the blog posting about v4. The answer is essentially that they are unable to offer us discounts. So, if you have a v1 or a v2 Pro license for FeedDemom you'll have to upgrade at full-price. I think I'll probably just stick with v.3...

Jibz:
Yes, that was the comment I read as well.

I was a bit surprised by the word 'unable' -- I doubt there is a law of physics preventing it, but I guess unwilling sounds less appealing :D.

There could be some licensing issue in regards to the deal he made with newsgator I guess.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version