ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows vs. Mac: I'm starting to change.

<< < (44/48) > >>

Darwin:
Oh, and I use the iTunes store sometimes.  Otherwise I find iTunes to be way overkill for my "not an iPod" personal media player.  Having it on my Mac at least prevents me from having to install iTunes on my PC while occasionally allowing me to see what I might want to buy on iTunes.
-grapeshot (November 08, 2009, 06:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

OMG! That's hilarious - EXACTLY how I feel about being one of the unwashed masses who is content to listen to music on a media player that Steven Jobs hasn't annointed! I also feel the same way about iTunes under Windows - I won't install it or QuickTime - and the use to which I put it on my iBook  ;D

WRT the rest of your comments - I presume that it all comes back to "controlling" the product. By locking out older shareware applications in anything but the most recent versions of OSX, Apple ensures that there are fewer hiccoughs when users try to run older software. It's also probably seen as being a good way to encourage people to upgrade to later OSX releases. Not working if Panther is still as prevalent as it seems.

EDIT: word choice

Innuendo:

* If your OS version is a couple of years old, you begin to find that new software won't work with it, forcing you to upgrade.  In the Windows world, you can reasonably expect your OS to last you for the better part of a decade.-grapeshot (November 08, 2009, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

It seems that in the land of Mac it's not only the forced OS upgrades, but the forced hardware upgrades as well. For example, Windows 7 has just been released & there have been numerous reports of people happily running it on computers that are 4-5 years old or older. I don't believe I have ever heard of a MacOS release that could be installed and run well on a 4 year old Mac.

Darwin:
I don't believe I have ever heard of a MacOS release that could be installed and run well on a 4 year old Mac.
-Innuendo (November 08, 2009, 11:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

My little iBook was 4 years old when Tiger was released and about 7 years old when I upgraded it to Tiger. Having said that... it's got 576MB of RAM and a 500Mhz CPU and it is pretty darn slow... painful, actually. I've actually got Office 2008 installed on it but don't use it much because it's unbearably slow. I keep meaning to uninstall it but haven't gotten around to it. My Win2k machine, on the other hand, with 512MB RAM and a 600Mhz CPU is much, much quicker. FWIW, the Win2k machine is a year older than the iBook and runs Office 2007 perfectly. Of course, Win2k and Tiger came out 5 years apart, so not really a fair comparison.

PS Both notebooks have 8MB dedicated video memory (same cards, in fact)  :P

Innuendo:
Here's a great opinion column that was published in The Guardian a couple of years ago that sums it up well.-grapeshot (November 08, 2009, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know if I'd call that an opinion column...unless...when you typed opinion you meant to type wild-eyed rant. The author is even a British comedy writer so who knows how much of his words are based in fact and which are just comedic absurdity. Reading the comments to the piece, though, I became painfully aware of the cultural gap there is between the British and Americans. Oh, sure, they argue just as much as Americans do as to whether Macs or PCs are better, but they take it a lot farther and argue quite vehemently over which operating system Dr. Who would use. :: shakes head ::

Now, if you'll excuse me I have to go prepare for my next Mac vs. PC argument. I need to come up with as many reasons as I can why Mr. Spock would use a PC.  ;)

Innuendo:
My little iBook was 4 years old when Tiger was released and about 7 years old when I upgraded it to Tiger. Having said that... it's got 576MB of RAM and a 500Mhz CPU and it is pretty darn slow... painful, actually.-Darwin (November 08, 2009, 11:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm not quite sure how to respond. Should I congratulate you for your accomplishment or express sympathy due to your predicament?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version