ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows vs. Mac: I'm starting to change.

<< < (42/48) > >>

DFrench:
I've never once had to backup my registry, minus individual keys for program settings that I want saved before I format. I too wonder what types of programs you are installing that cause such a hassle upon uninstall.
-Josh (November 07, 2009, 08:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

hmm, it was a joke - maybe you can hear the bells now...

and, if you had never a problem with the registry... good for you. as such a windows pro you should know that a) microsoft never tells everything about windows... b) the 'real secrets' are in the registry... c) that just a little error or fault entry in the registry and windows don't even boot!
what can 'destroy' the registry? as i life in greece - the land of the powercuts ;) - and that's enough. even before i was 'backing up' my pc's - i organized a ups!
and that's just one of tousend possiblilities to 'destroy' the registry.

Innuendo:
hmm, it was a joke - maybe you can hear the bells now...-DFrench (November 08, 2009, 02:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

The joke probably didn't translate to English well. No worries...

and, if you had never a problem with the registry... good for you. as such a windows pro you should know that a) microsoft never tells everything about windows... b) the 'real secrets' are in the registry... c) that just a little error or fault entry in the registry and windows don't even boot!
--- End quote ---

Yes, that's true, but to be fair every computer operating system ever written has a set of important core files where if one of them gets corrupted that OS will not boot.

And if powercuts are a problem where you live you probably should look into buying an uninterruptible power supply.

Darwin:
And if powercuts are a problem where you live you probably should look into buying an uninterruptible power supply.
-Innuendo (November 08, 2009, 10:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

He's got one!

even boot!
what can 'destroy' the registry? as i life in greece - the land of the powercuts ;) - and that's enough. even before i was 'backing up' my pc's - i organized a ups!
-DFrench (November 08, 2009, 02:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

To comment on DFrench's original post, though, I haven't had single registry issue since I switched from XP to first Vista 32 bit, then Vista 64 bit and finally Windows 7 64 bit... I'm not sure how much of that has to do with the 32 bit to 64 bit switcheroo, though (I made it about 4 months after switching to Vista).

f0dder:
I can't remember any registry corruption issues since moving from Win9x and FAT32 to NT and NTFS... well, except for a few instances of me writing device drivers with nasty bugs, but those have always been tested on a dedicated system :)

DFrench:
on xp, 32 or 64 bit i had never a problem with the registry.
with vista (64 bit) i had 4...
first and that was the best... i installed the prog 'registry system wizard' first on virtual pc, everything fine, also i installed the programm on the 'real' pc. reboot... nothing happens, black screen
second, after installing nero 8 (original dvd), the same, on virtual pc no problem... in the middle of the installation... boing and the pc crashed!
third was a reinstall of newsbin pro, installed the prog, started it the first time, my name and serial number etc... ALT+F4... started the programm again and the pc crashed!
the last was probably my fault... had to install a new device (external blueray player/burner)

but now with windows 7 64 bit i have no problems... but i make at least once a week a backup of the registry.
as one of my pc is working 24h/7days, and a backup from my server (local webserver, xampp) and gfx files are made every night on a nas and a external hd.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version