ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows vs. Mac: I'm starting to change.

<< < (39/48) > >>

Darwin:
It's the absence of anything more than a thin veneer of objectivity in the blogs/articles that have been linked to that these posts are pointing out/complaining about. Perhaps we as a whole are "windows-centric" but I hardly think anyone here is blind in their appraisal of Windows. I still maintain that the whole argument is akin to the Chevy versus Ford debate. These OS are different. Deal with it. Why does one necessarily have to be better than the other?

Zaine, I'm sorry if you feel that you're not welcome here, posting as you do from a non-Windows perspective. I'd be very sorry if you allowed those other distractions to take you away from here.

tomos:
I think there's two things going on here -
there's been a good bit of gratuitous bashing etc, but, on the other had,
I thought that the responses to both those articles were actually quite reasonable (in fairness, one article wasnt really about mac vs 'pc' at all).

I have noticed in comments on any articles I've read about the topic that the mac users who respond are very reasonable and practical and NOT fanatics. Maybe that's part of the problem here - there arent really any mac users involved in the thread.

Was it last year that nontroppo moved to mac and wrote some very impressive stuff here about the OS.

Innuendo:
Wow! I'm surprised how sensitive and defensive some Windows users have become as other OSes attract new users.-zridling (October 27, 2009, 03:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Zaine, I'm sorry you see the discussion that way. I cannot speak for anyone else, but my remarks have only been made to make the point that the grass may seem greener on the other side of the fence, but seldom is. Every OS has its problems & if you are jumping ship from your chosen OS (whatever it may be) to something else, you may indeed be surprised when you are trading one set of problems for another.

I thought everyone else who was pointing out the deficiencies of OS X were making comments in the same spirit, but maybe I missed something. The lesson to carry away from this thread is that if one wants to run OS X as it is a better fit for them then that's fine, but don't believe that "It just works." malarkey the Apple marketing department is churning out as OS X isn't 100% trouble-free, either.

Josh:
That's exactly it. From my experiences, the zealots of the particular platforms rarely tell you problems with that platform be it Windows, Mac, Linux, etc. Articles like the one linked are clearly out to prove one platform is superior but in the end, that all depends on the users needs. Who is to say that the author of this article's needs are the same as mine, my fathers, my sister, my neighbor three doors down. Just some food for thought. I ask that article writers be objective.

zridling:
You guys are definitely right about tradeoffs when switching. And if a person is aware of those going in, he's far more likely to tolerate them in his choice. There's comfort in immersion, and for 85% of users, the software ocean they swim in is Windows. And even if they spend time in another OS, when they come back to Windows, they're usually more tolerant of its shortcomings.

Indeed, every OS and platform forces adjustments and compromises. At least you guys are fully aware of them, whatever the OS. Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version