ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows vs. Mac: I'm starting to change.

<< < (28/48) > >>

cmpm:
Yes, I can see apple being about hardware and MS about software. Thanks for that input wraith808.

Don't know if apple has a patent on their format though.
Seems ms could put in the ability to create a mac partition.
There's a lot I don't know, nor care about.

Dormouse:
Since Mac OSX is owned by Apple who don't permit it to be installed on anything except their own hardware, MS cannot legally do anything to install it on Windows PCs. Hackers don't worry about about any licensing restrictions. So, it is possible to circumvent the restrictions, but MS cannot do it for you.

Darwin:
If hackers can do it, certainly ms can
--- End quote ---

Apple *tries* to restrict installation of OSX to Apple produced and sold hardware. Indeed, it is difficult to install OSX on non-Apple hardware and doing so is in violation of Apple's EULA (or so I belivieve). The OS looks for a unique hardware ID on the MB when it's being installed - if it doesn't find it, it won't run without a lot of hacking. This is 100% on Apple and has nothing to do with MS or with the PC manufacturer. This is a marketing decision on Apple's part - "PC" (or rather, non-Apple PC) manufacturers could care less if you install OSX on their machines but Apple won't allow it - which I have always thought to be shortsighted because there ARE enough people out there who are fed up with Windows that they might make the switch if they could do it with their existing hardware and Apple could thus grab more of the OS market share. Microsoft, no doubt, is pretty happy about this arrangement BUT they have nothing to do with it and will have no control over it if, in future, Apple releases OSX to the unwashed masses. I suspect that Apple/Jobs know that if OSX were released for use on non-Apple controlled boxes, they'd have a LOT of problems with it fast and the lustre would come off OSX faster than you can say Windows 7 (or XP or Vista)!

No one will dispute your argument that to both companies it's about the money. However, if you continue to brand Microsoft as the "bad guy" in the "OSX won't run on a Microsoft machine (sic)" scenario, you're going to continue to draw rebuttals.

Now, as wraith notes above, when it comes to choosing an Apple versus a non-Apple machine (and thus OSX versus Windows versus something else): whatever floats your boat!

Josh:
cmpm, i am sorry but you are wrong. It is NOT Microsofts responsibility to make OSX run on PC Hardware. OSX is proprietary to the mac. Yes it can work on the PC hardware, but only after hacking it. That is NOT Microsofts job nor is it a PC Manufacturers job. Apple has restricted use to their MAC hardware platform. Saying that microsoft could "create a mac partition" is silly in so many ways when it comes to a business aspect. Why would they WANT to do that? OSX offers nothing in terms of software or program availability that windows cannot already handle.

As you say, there is a lot you do not know, and I would suggest reading up on this topic because labeling microsoft the bad guy on this aspect is the wrong way to go. Apple has their software locked to hardware. It is NOT microsoft trying to lock out apple from the PC platform (which it has no control over).

cmpm:
I didn't label MS as the 'bad guy', sheesh!
They are just companies doing what they do.

Have to pass on the reading up,
I don't care, nor could I do a dam thing about it.

However, I do appreciate the info.

I just thought if you can put windows on a mac,
why not mac on the windows machine.
If they do it, fine, if not, so what.
I already said I'm a windows guy,
and I would like to learn the mac,
but I won't pay the price it costs for me to learn it.

My son, yes, majoring in Creative Writing,
any tools he thinks he needs I'll do my best to get it.

That's why I posted on this thread-
cause there is a mac user here close.
Told you why I got it and more.
Maybe get some OPERATING TIPS.

Then a witch hunt for a bad guy?
pffft bs and more from non-mac users
It's business as usual.
I'm throwing a few ideas around, get over it.
I don't have all the facts and haven't seen 'em posted here.
Like a mac can create a ntfs partition on any MS windows comp.
Why can't Windows do a mac partition?
Don't know. Some kind of "deal" in corporate computer crap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version