ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows vs. Mac: I'm starting to change.

<< < (27/48) > >>

40hz:
well. hm

this is primarily a pc site
not for mac users-cmpm (October 13, 2009, 06:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think that's true. DoCo is remarkably agnostic when it comes to hardware platform and operating systems.

There's "primarily" more discussion of non-Apple related topics because that's what the majority of the DoCo community work with.

We're a promiscuous bunch here. Most of us will use anything. ;D

being able to really install both OS on one computer is a plus
that is one reason for the one i bought
pc's can't do it like a mac can

--- End quote ---

I think it would be more correct to say PCs aren't allowed to do it like Macs are."

Not being able to easily install OSX on anything but Apple's hardware is a purely arbitrary marketing decision by Apple to force you to buy theirs. There are no legitimate technical reasons for why it can't be done as easily as installing Windows or Linux on a Mac.

Apple used to say that "1984 won't be like 1984." And they were right. But I guess they stopped counting at that point. Because most of what they did afterwards only brought it closer.

Here's an interesting thing about many people who style themselves "Revolutionaries." Once they buck the old regime and gain some power for themselves, they almost always become worse tyrants than the people they replaced.

But then again, it's always been a truism that rules are made for other people so I guess it's to be expected.

Like Apple says: Think Different!  

Maybe they should have said: Abandon Logic! :P

Josh:
Whatever....

The windows machine will not be built to handle the OSX format.
Their 90% would change. They are not that stupid.
-cmpm (October 14, 2009, 06:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

You keep saying Windows. Mac's are PCs just like PCs are PCs. They use identical hardware. Apple has CHOSEN to limit OSX to the MAC (PC) hardware it chooses. They use very strict controls to ensure you cannot install it on other hardware although that won't and hasn't stopped the hacking crowd. There are hackintoshes and they prove that apple is arbitrarily locking down it's SOFTWARE to its HARDWARE.

f0dder:
Whatever....

The windows machine will not be built to handle the OSX format.
Their 90% would change. They are not that stupid.

Apple made a marketing move to use intel and bootcamp.

It's about their money, both of them, not what we, the computer users would like.
-cmpm (October 14, 2009, 06:33 AM)
--- End quote ---
Oh boy, you really bought the kool-aid, didn't you? :)

See what Josh wrote in the post right before this one.

cmpm:
Microsoft is guilty of the same tactics is what I'm saying.
 It's about money!

I can install MS windows on a Mac.
I can't install Mac on a Computer built for MS windows.
So you say it's apple's fault.
I don't really know.
If hackers can do it, certainly ms can.

and yeah i know a mac is a pc
thinking of that stupid commercial.....
"I'm a pc"
they don't say ms windows you know

wraith808:
Ummm... you can install windows on a Mac.  Even without bootcamp.  There are several other non-hacky ways to install windows on a Mac.  As for the other ways, well, Apple has safeguards built into the standard OS installs to keep you from installing on anything other than Apple Hardware.  And they don't sell their OS in any manner other than with their hardware, or as an upgrade to an existing installation.

You're right- it's about money... but the focus for the two is in different areas.  MS is a software company- all they care about is selling Office and other software... and to do that, they keep people on Windows, though they make a lot of money off of Macs too.  If you want to run it on whatever hardware (I couldn't think of anything far enough out there) it's up to you.  Apple is a hardware company.  They sell software, but don't get it twisted- their primary bread and butter is hardware.  The OS (Is it still OSX... or is it now OSXI?  Or OSXII?) is just their way of selling through more hardware.  Why else do you think they control prices on their hardware so much?  Competition in the hardware market would undercut their bottom line.

In the end, buy what you need and want- it's a tool, and nothing more.  They don't care anything for you other than your $$$... so why should you care any more for them that that?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version