ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows vs. Mac: I'm starting to change.

<< < (25/48) > >>

wraith808:
That macbook does have a top end graphics card... what kind does that Dell Studio have?  I've priced the Dell vs the MacBook for what I was looking for... and the VAIO... and they all are within a few hundred of each other...

cmpm:
There are two separate video cards on the newer MacBook Pros. One (the 9400m) is for everyday graphics and requires less power. The 9600M GT has its own memory (512mb) and is a high-end graphics card for gaming, etc.

I figure the 512 is for an external monitor.

Not sure, I didn't get much of a chance to check it out.
There wasn't much time for me to get to know it.
The owner of it needed to use it as long as he could before college to learn OSX.

2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
500GB HD
15 inch display
7 hour battery

A student discount was going then, 10 maybe 15 percent off.
Free canon printer/scanner, free ipod, i forget what else.
Maybe that's all. A little over $2000, o yeah msoffice for mac, student.

Darwin:
being able to really install both OS on one computer is a plus
that is one reason for the one i bought
pc's can't do it like a mac can
i wish a pc could, i'd like to try macOSX myself
-cmpm (October 13, 2009, 06:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, agreed. However, this is an Apple imposed limitation and has nothing to do with either Windows or the hardware (beyond the fact that one is not *supposed* to be able to install OSX on a non-Apple produced platform.

JavaJones:
That macbook does have a top end graphics card... what kind does that Dell Studio have?  I've priced the Dell vs the MacBook for what I was looking for... and the VAIO... and they all are within a few hundred of each other...
-wraith808 (October 13, 2009, 07:17 PM)
--- End quote ---

Neither the 9400M or the 9600M GT on the MacBook Pro are anywhere *near* "top end". The dell has a ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4670 which should be fairly decent - comparable at the least.

And here's the Sony VAIO version:
Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9600 (2.80GHz)
Microsoft® Windows Vista® Home Premium 64-bit
4GB DDR2-SDRAM (DDR2-800, 2GBx2)
500GB SATA Hard Disk Drive [5400 rpm]
Blu-ray Disc™ playback/burning
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD4650 graphics card with 1GB vRAM-great for games and movies
16.4" widescreen with XBRITE-FullHD™ LCD technology (1920x1080)
$1720

- Oshyan

tomos:
Well, some random comments:
I LOVE the Apple multi-touch touchpad.  It is awesome.  You know what would be a cool idea?  I large pad on your desk to replace a mouse if you wanted.  You use your fingers to move around and do stuff with multi-touch commands and so forth.  That would be something really cool.  but it would have to be a decent size, maybe the size of paper (8.5x11").  I dig that.
-superboyac (October 13, 2009, 06:13 PM)
--- End quote ---

Have you seen this thread 10/GUI - new ideas for the desktop using multi-touch touch-pad/small screen

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version