ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows vs. Mac: I'm starting to change.

<< < (24/48) > >>

superboyac:
Well, some random comments:
I LOVE the Apple multi-touch touchpad.  It is awesome.  You know what would be a cool idea?  I large pad on your desk to replace a mouse if you wanted.  You use your fingers to move around and do stuff with multi-touch commands and so forth.  That would be something really cool.  but it would have to be a decent size, maybe the size of paper (8.5x11").  I dig that.

Paul Keith:
Well Google did bring up something regarding touchpad mouses:

http://www.cirque.com/desktoptouchpad/touchpad-mouse-overview.aspx

cmpm:
well. hm

this is primarily a pc site
not for mac users

wraith808-
The price for a Mac on the lower end is more expensive, but as you scale up, the price isn't that much different, I've found.
--- End quote ---

i couldn't have said it better myself
and with bootcamp built into mac,
ms windows can be installed whenever one is ready to

the actual comparisons i've seen
of a mac pro and a comparable pc
gives mac OSX the edge over Vista and XP, at this time
that's without windows7 considered

being able to really install both OS on one computer is a plus
that is one reason for the one i bought
pc's can't do it like a mac can
i wish a pc could, i'd like to try macOSX myself
instead of listening to everyone else's opinion
and not virtual either but installed with any quirks that come up
---
the sales pitch for macs really do suck
mainly because of slamming a pc
without comparing how a mac handles the same things
besides, there is nothing in particular pointed out in a pc specifically
just the ideas are thrown out, pc is a bad move, without facts or proof

but i don't see much ads from ms about it's actual workings
...well i haven't seen much ads for mswindows at all...

superboyac:
Well Google did bring up something regarding touchpad mouses:

http://www.cirque.com/desktoptouchpad/touchpad-mouse-overview.aspx
-Paul Keith (October 13, 2009, 06:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
That is very cool.  It doesn't mention anything about multi-touch, which is the real key feature of the apple touchpads.  That makes all the difference in the world.

JavaJones:
Innuendo, from what I hear Apple *is* often slow to respond to issues like this with appropriate patches. Why that is I'm not sure.

The price difference for Mac vs. PC really depends on the *specific* model you're looking at. You could say it's "not that big once you get to the high end", but as a blanket statement that's not necessarily true, particularly in the laptop area.

17" MacBook Pro
2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo
4GB RAM
500GB HD (5400RPM - $50 more for 7200)
$2500

Dell Studio 17
1.73/3.06Ghz Core i7 (quad core, should be faster than the C2D even at lower clock)
4GB RAM
500GB HD (7200RPM)
Blu-ray drive
$1700

Granted the Dell is 1.5lb heavier and has only 1600x900 rather than 1920x1080 display, but both are LED LCD, backlit keyboard, and the Dell has a faster single graphics card. Maybe not the clearest landslide in the world, but at $800 cheaper I could buy a second netbook for ultra portability if I wanted, and still come out ahead. This was also just the first reasonable comparison I saw. I'm sure if I looked at other Dell, HP, etc. models I could find something closer, and equally sure it would still be lower priced (and come with a longer standard warranty).

On the flip side, look at Dell's workstations vs. the Mac Pro prices and you'll see Apple tends to excel in this area as far as price goes. Many people buy Mac Pros for their workstation needs and then just install Windows on it since it's good hardware and comes at a surprisingly decent price for what you get (dual Nehalem Xeons). Just don't bother upgrading *anything* through Apple (e.g. memory, hard drive) as they'll charge you a boatload. Oh and I hope you don't want a top-end graphics card. ;)

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version