ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows vs. Mac: I'm starting to change.

<< < (20/48) > >>

Darwin:
Every major media outlet would be covering this if it was happening under Windows and Microsoft would be being excoriated EVERYWHERE... whereas when Jobs et al. are behind a glitch like this it's barely noted.-Darwin (October 12, 2009, 03:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, to be fair...is it really newsworthy when it's a bug that affects less than 10% of computer users world-wide?  ;)
-Innuendo (October 12, 2009, 04:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

Good point...

JavaJones:
Darwin, I'm surprised you like the changes in Win7's file manager. I wrote a blog post about why I hate it. :D
http://oshyan.blogspot.com/2009/09/fixing-windows-7-part-1.html

Of course my recommendation applies to almost any of the available Windows file manager replacements, it just happens that Free Commander is, well, free, and nicely capable. I've found a few things that don't work quite right on Win7 (drag and drop to apps for instance), but overall it's quite good.

- Oshyan

superboyac:
The problem is it simply does not seem to find me the files I'm looking for. Ever. Granted you can choose not to use it, as before, but here's where it gets weird: the results I get when not using indexing are still not as comprehensive as those I was able to find using the old Windows Explorer. I have no idea why this is, I only know that it is so.
-from JavaJones' blog
--- End quote ---
I liked that.  This is a phrase that more developers should hear about their software.  I find myself thinking this way about a lot of things when it comes to software.  I have nothing really to say here, I just thought that resonated with me.  People like to talk about the features, the programming details, all the geeky stuff, but that phrase is often what drives my actions in things related to software.

40hz:
--Jobs is still a brilliant marketer.
-superboyac (October 12, 2009, 02:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

Here's my take on that topic:

Jobs is still a brilliant successful marketer. ;)

Innuendo:
Here's another Snow Leopard bug (though not as bad as the delete your data bug):

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2184529&tstart=0

How many other OSes get so confused you have to type your login password backwards to log in?

There was also a bug in Leopard where if you were moving files from your Mac to a destination over the network & the connection was lost all the files you were moving were deleted regardless of whether or not they had successfully made it to their intended destination.

OS X...it just (half-ass) works.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version