ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows vs. Mac: I'm starting to change.

<< < (10/48) > >>

40hz:
Huh? I was commenting on superboyac examples of bloated software on Windows, not on the adequacy of a Mac computer on a Mac ecosystem :)
-Lashiec (October 04, 2009, 04:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hey Lash! Why so you were.

Hmmm....and here I thought you were...

Wow!

Must have been responding to one of those Voices I've been hearing lately :-[

(I really need to get some sleep one of these nights. And also stop straddling several forum discussions at the same time like I'm doing right now. Apparently I'm nowhere near smart enough to do that. ;D)

superboyac:
Very true. But when all your peers and instructors use Macs; and all the handouts and examples you are given show a Mac interface; and your formal and ad hoc support networks all think in terms of Macintosh - why fight it? You'll be done in 4 or so years - after which you can switch to anything you want.
-40hz (October 04, 2009, 04:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
This is more on the point of what I'm trying to discuss here.  This is what I'm seeing more and more lately, and I'm assuming (and I may be wrong) that it will eventually have an effect in the computing universe.  Will there be a time when the workplaces start shifting to Macs?  Or away from PC's?  That's what I'm talking about.

The other stuff is more off-topic.  I know that there are pdf alternatives.  I know how to tame my PC, I've spent my whole life doing it.  I know all the options and tweaks out there, and all the little software.  That's why I'm here!

It just hit me last week that I had never seen so many Macs around me before.  And I was wondering if we're in some kind of transition period right now that hasn't been seen yet.  The computing world has been dominated by PC's for the last 20 years.  I'm curious how much ground they are losing, if they are at all.  Maybe I'm wrong and I'm not able to see the big picture.

Innuendo:
I'm curious how much ground they are losing, if they are at all.  Maybe I'm wrong and I'm not able to see the big picture.-superboyac (October 04, 2009, 06:48 PM)
--- End quote ---

Probably not much ground at all, at least in the corporate business world. These companies have too much money invested in their specialized software to switch computing platforms. Heck, there are a LOT of companies running custom apps that have been written in COBOL and can't make a switch to a newer programming language as it'd cost the company millions & that's just the cost of moving from one PC programming language to another PC programming language. Start talking about moving to a different computing platform and having to leave *all* your software behind there'll be people in accounting having strokes.

f0dder:
This is more on the point of what I'm trying to discuss here.  This is what I'm seeing more and more lately, and I'm assuming (and I may be wrong) that it will eventually have an effect in the computing universe.  Will there be a time when the workplaces start shifting to Macs?  Or away from PC's?  That's what I'm talking about.-superboyac (October 04, 2009, 06:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
I certainly hope this is never going to happen, considering how closed Apple in reality is. I wouldn't like it from a developer perspective either - you're pretty much forced to used Objective-C if you want to have an easy time writing GUI apps... and then there's the issue of Apple introducing proprietary features to the language. Sure thing, closures might be lovely and sexy to work with, but boy does it give vendor lock-in.

Btw, why is it that people  say "mac vs PC"? Macs are personal computers, and have been so since day 1. Sure thing, they weren't x86 to begin with, but these days you won't find a non-x86 mac... I guess Apple is happy about it, some people might see it as a perfectly valid reason to pay the premium for their standard-quality PC components :)

superboyac:
Btw, why is it that people  say "mac vs PC"? Macs are personal computers, and have been so since day 1.
-f0dder (October 05, 2009, 02:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
I know you're kidding, but people say it 9even if they know better, like me) just because it's a phrase that will be generally understood.  Just like the words "kleenex" or "xerox". 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version