ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows vs. Mac: I'm starting to change.

<< < (7/48) > >>

f0dder:
but a macbook pro is what he wanted
so he has it
-cmpm (October 03, 2009, 07:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
So... do you check up on him regularly to make sure he's not... you know... a bit to artsy-fartsy?

Sorry to hear that you've wasted a boatload of money to satisfy you son's whim. I'd rather suffer the *u*x brainwaishing of http://daimi.au.dk/ than some {m,f}a{c,g} studio.

mouser:
f0dder the first post by you on this page was a great one.  most recent post.. well.. not.  just my 2 cents. :-\

cmpm:
No, it was not a whim, he knows more about macs then me.
For a couple of years he has wanted this.
And he deserves it and anything else he wants to do college.
A lot of his friends have macs as well.
He also knows about pcs.

I think that's all I can say about your post fodder.
At this point.

MrCrispy:
I would like to dispel 2 common myths about Mac vs Windows. I'm not saying you believe in these, but they are very common in almost every discussion like this -

1. Mac's have superior hardware - they have the exact same components as a pc, ever since Apple switched to Intel. If anything, Apple lags behind pc makers. Unless you buy a Mac right after a refresh, for the next year or so you'll be forced to buy outdated graphics cards, hard disk etc, and don't have the option to upgrade. The difference is in the laptops, which have better design (such as the unibody) and better appearance, but this does not mean they are built better.

2. Mac's are safer - OSX is technically inferior to Windows in nearly every aspect of security. Its safer in the exact same way there's less chance of a robbery in a cottage with no doors in the middle of a desert compared to a house in a big city.

Here's an experiment - buy a pc, clean install Windows (this I totally agree with, pc makers bundle a ton of crapware, but things are improving). Only every install selected hardware from a special list which has been tested and whose drivers are included. Don't install just any random software. And leave well enough alone, don't go around tweaking things (very easy in Windows). In other words, treat the pc as if it were the Mac ecosystem, with very limited choice and premium products. Then see how it behaves.

You should take a look at Apple forums and how threads about problems get deleted. Apple has excellent PR and marketing, even the fact that Apple is by far the worst when it comes to locking down users is spun as a positive.

I've never owned a Mac (can't afford one and honestly don't care to) but have tried to use them at the Apple store. Maybe I'm too trained in Windows and don't 'think different' but I just find it frustrating after the initial wow factor.

urlwolf:
My biggest hurdle when leaving Windows was leaving behind AutoHotkey. That's the only program I missed for a while. Everything else has been a joy.

--- End quote ---

Zaine, you know about autokey, right? What do you think? python syntax beats ahk's any day...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version