ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows vs. Mac: I'm starting to change.

<< < (3/48) > >>

superboyac:
So many well thought out replies.  Sorry if I don't get to all of them!

Innuendo, there's no change coming any time soon...like in the next 5 years.  I just built my PC, I'm going to go down with the ship if anything.  I also realize that much of the hoopla around both Vista, Macs, and even Windows7 is extremist hype.  The truth is always more complicated and somewhere in the middle.  I know that.  And I will always want to get down and dirty with the geekiness before commiting to any kind of computer equipment and software.  After all, that's what brought me here to DC and it's something we all share.  But we are the minority.  And whenever we talk about, "oh, this is better, and that is not so good.  And this is why..." we should take a step back and be aware that most people are not in our shoes and they never will be.  So if something "just works" or even if they just BELIEVE that something just works, well, that's what they are going to get.  And we can't ignore that.

Of course macs have their fair share of issues.  Also, I'm sure that if there were as many Mac users as PC users, their issues would increase exponentially and they might actually be in the same situation that Windows is in.  It's a complex issue.  But I have seen in the past year or two that Macs have really made some strong strides forward as Windows failed miserably with Vista.  To me, it's very interesting to see how the whole story will play out.  In the meantime, I'll be using my PC.  I can't give up my favorite software applications just yet or anytime in the near future.  But in 10 years?  i don't know.  I guess for me, the question is really this:  will I someday give up this need to figure out and tweak every little aspect of my computer experience?  If i do indeed give it up, my choice in computers will change.  But that is so far away, so who knows what my preference will be then?

superboyac:
Just do your research, but don't buy a Mac because of what Mac users tell you. It's been my experience they never talk about a bug or problem with Macs or OSX until after it's been fixed. It happened with the move to the Intel platform. It happened when the Macs finally got pre-emptive multi-tasking. And it's happened countless other times.
-Innuendo (October 01, 2009, 10:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

That it's something I completely agree with. Wise words, indeed.
-Lashiec (October 01, 2009, 10:29 AM)
--- End quote ---
There's another thing...what if I don't want to do research?  What will I pick then?  That's what a lot of people are doing.

Paul Keith:
Just do your research, but don't buy a Mac because of what Mac users tell you. It's been my experience they never talk about a bug or problem with Macs or OSX until after it's been fixed. It happened with the move to the Intel platform. It happened when the Macs finally got pre-emptive multi-tasking. And it's happened countless other times.
-Innuendo (October 01, 2009, 10:20 AM)
--- End quote ---

That it's something I completely agree with. Wise words, indeed.
-Lashiec (October 01, 2009, 10:29 AM)
--- End quote ---
There's another thing...what if I don't want to do research?  What will I pick then?  That's what a lot of people are doing.
-superboyac (October 01, 2009, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

That's kind of an easy question to answer. Most people would choose/forced to use/settle on Windows and that's why they have the largest marketshare.

I think it's impossible to do no research. Even being prettified by OSX or preferring a Mac because of a bad experience with Windows is still some form of research.

Edit: Hell, even making a thread here is some form of research.  :P

nudone:
just saying, i was impressed with linux Mint too (as said Paul) - maybe that's the future - well, far future.

loved xp, found vista nice too (zero problems with it so far), no rush for win 7 but i know it'll be fun when i get it.

as for mac, i hope that isn't the future.

f0dder:
as for mac, i hope that isn't the future.
-nudone (October 01, 2009, 12:28 PM)
--- End quote ---
Same here - they have much nastier lock-in than MS, and given the opportunity they'd build an even nastier monopoly. Not to mention that Apple kinda is Steve Jobs - what happens when he buys the farmhouse? (going to happen sooner rather than later, cancer and all).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version