ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows vs. Mac: I'm starting to change.

<< < (11/48) > >>

40hz:
ODF sucks almost as much as OOXML
-f0dder (October 03, 2009, 12:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I keep hearing that.

But ok, assuming that's actually true - does anybody have a better schema that goes beyond pure theory? Has anybody taken it beyond just bashing what's already been proposed? Is there a demonstrably superior (and useable) document standard out there that has actually reached the working prototype stage? Because I'm not aware of any.

So that's why I'm asking.

I figured if anybody knew, it would be somebody here. :Thmbsup:

-----

Q: How many programmers does it take to design and code a C++ program?

A: One thousand. One person to do the actual work - and the remaining 999 to sit around and chuckle about how they could have done it ten times better with their eyes closed... :P

<EDIT: fixed a minor spelling error. Sorry!>

Innuendo:
I know you're kidding, but people say it 9even if they know better, like me) just because it's a phrase that will be generally understood.  Just like the words "kleenex" or "xerox".  
-superboyac (October 05, 2009, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yes...I say it although I know better, but because of all those Mac commercials it's what people know and understand because that's a distinction in definitions that Apple itself came up with...which is fine with me. Modern Macs these days seem more and more like computing appliances than personal computers. I can imagine a day when there'll be a sticker on the bottom of all Macs that states "No user-serviceable parts inside".

superboyac:
Yes...I say it although I know better, but because of all those Mac commercials it's what people know and understand because that's a distinction in definitions that Apple itself came up with...which is fine with me. Modern Macs these days seem more and more like computing appliances than personal computers. I can imagine a day when there'll be a sticker on the bottom of all Macs that states "No user-serviceable parts inside".
-Innuendo (October 05, 2009, 10:27 AM)
--- End quote ---
I like that..."computing appliances"!  I hear you.  But you also know that the consumers LOVE how the Macs come in one piece.  Whenever my friends get a new Mac, they are always so proud about how there are no wires and how everything is tucked away behind the monitor.  Now, sure, it's not practical for me because I don't get to fiddle with the parts, but these people will never want to do that.  Jobs is a brilliant marketer.  He knows what people want.  Sony should really try to learn from him.

40hz:
Jobs is a brilliant marketer.  He knows what people want.
-superboyac (October 05, 2009, 11:46 AM)
--- End quote ---

:P

f0dder:
Btw, why is it that people  say "mac vs PC"? Macs are personal computers, and have been so since day 1.
-f0dder (October 05, 2009, 02:00 AM)
--- End quote ---
I know you're kidding, but people say it 9even if they know better, like me) just because it's a phrase that will be generally understood.  Just like the words "kleenex" or "xerox".  
-superboyac (October 05, 2009, 10:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
Actually I wasn't kidding - I know people around this forum know better, but I've met several mac-users IRL who refuse to believe that these days (ever since ~2005 or so) macs are bog-standard x86 hardware... and make claims like "but photoshop filters run noticably faster on my mac!" (if that's true, for the same hardware, Adobe either intentionally crippled the Windows version of 'shop, or used a really sucky compiler).

But ok, assuming that's actually true - does anybody have a better schema that goes beyond pure theory? Has anybody taken it beyond just bashing what's already been proposed? Is there a demonstrably superior (and useable) document standard out there that has actually reached the working prototype stage? Because I'm not aware of any.-40hz (October 05, 2009, 10:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
Imho the old .DOC format is superior to both of them... instead of coming up with OOXML, MS should just have opened up that format instead. It might not be XML-based, but really, fsck that :)

Q: How many programmers does it take to design and code a C++ program?

A: One thousand. One person to do the actual work - and the remaining 999 to sit around and chuckle about how they could have done it ten times better with their eyes closed... :P-40hz (October 05, 2009, 10:26 AM)
--- End quote ---
:Thmbsup:

Unfortunately, I often find myself in that situation - which is a bit scary, since I'm not going to claim I always write the worlds best, clean, production-grade code. But... christ. Ever taken a look at, say, the Notepad++ source code?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version