ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows vs. Mac: I'm starting to change.

<< < (41/48) > >>

Innuendo:
I'm my parents' go-to guy for computer and tech support. I'm a confirmed Windows guy and yet my parents insist on running a Mac. I've been repeating the above advice to them like a mantra for years. Falls on deaf ears!
-Darwin (November 07, 2009, 12:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Next time they have a problem feign ignorance & tell them they'll have to take it to a shop & pay to have it fixed. Quickly add that if they had a Windows PC you'd be able to fix the problem with no cash outlay. :)

tomos:
I'm a confirmed Windows guy and yet my parents insist on running a Mac-Darwin (November 07, 2009, 12:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

were they influenced by the advertising or what :) ('hip' parents?)

DFrench:
hmm  8) this thread will never end  ;D

but, as a 'old boy' wich started his computer life on a spectrum zx1, c64, atari, amiga to dos 3.11 till windows 7 now... there is just one thing you have to learn with microsoft - MAKE FROM YOUR RUNNING SYSTEM A BACKUP and put all your important data on a second hd, dvd and/or nas.
try new software not at home, go with a usb-stick to a friend, maybe not to your best one *LOL*, and try it there or go in a internet cafe... or try it on a virtual pc - and you have no problems at all!
ohh, and of course... don't forget to save your registry... at least once a day...
and if you deinstall a programm... see in the drawer 'common files' to... and in the appdata drawer under local and... and clean the registry at least twice...
did i say that you should make a backup before you deinstall a programm?
hmm... is there anything else or did i forgot something?
oh yea, as i'm swiss-german (Grüezi zäme!), my english is not ferry goot, sorrz

have a nice day!

Innuendo:
ohh, and of course... don't forget to save your registry... at least once a day...
and if you deinstall a programm... see in the drawer 'common files' to... and in the appdata drawer under local and... and clean the registry at least twice...
did i say that you should make a backup before you deinstall a programm?-DFrench (November 07, 2009, 05:12 PM)
--- End quote ---

Gosh, I've been using Windows since Windows 3.1 and I've never had to do any of that stuff to keep my Windows running smoothly. I have to wonder what kind of programs you install. :)

Josh:
I've never once had to backup my registry, minus individual keys for program settings that I want saved before I format. I too wonder what types of programs you are installing that cause such a hassle upon uninstall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version