ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows vs. Mac: I'm starting to change.

<< < (31/48) > >>

zridling:
It's hilarious to me that, this far into the 21st century, we are still arguing on behalf of proprietary hardware and software in one form or another. Today, the "typical user's" interaction with their computer is the browser, not the OS. Since all browsers are cross-platform -- oh wait, not Microsoft's IE -- you should use the OS you're willing to tolerate.

In some ways, we might as well be arguing whether we arrived by plane, train, or automobile.

Innuendo:
Today, the "typical user's" interaction with their computer is the browser, not the OS. Since all browsers are cross-platform -- oh wait, not Microsoft's IE -- you should use the OS you're willing to tolerate.-zridling (October 16, 2009, 09:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

All the people I know with computers, ranging from 13 to 67, gauge their user interaction by the apps and games they use. The only use they have for the browser usually is to obtain more data to use with their games and apps, i.e. information for book reports, downloadable content for games, music for their mp3 players, etc.

When these people go to upgrade their computers, or to buy a new one, the choice of browser never enters into it. They base their decisions on needing to run Micrsoft Word or Final Cut or Garage Band or Half Life 2.

Now if the days of cloud computing finally arrive then I agree it will be all about the web browser, but every single one of these 13 to 70 year olds I know do not like the concept of cloud computing at all.

wraith808:
All the people I know with computers, ranging from 13 to 67, gauge their user interaction by the apps and games they use. The only use they have for the browser usually is to obtain more data to use with their games and apps, i.e. information for book reports, downloadable content for games, music for their mp3 players, etc.

When these people go to upgrade their computers, or to buy a new one, the choice of browser never enters into it. They base their decisions on needing to run Micrsoft Word or Final Cut or Garage Band or Half Life 2.

Now if the days of cloud computing finally arrive then I agree it will be all about the web browser, but every single one of these 13 to 70 year olds I know do not like the concept of cloud computing at all.
-Innuendo (October 17, 2009, 10:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

And though the browser does come into it, even advanced users are not using the cloud nearly enough to say that the choice of PC and OS doesn't come into play.

Darwin:
Yes - must agree with wraith and innuendo here. I can agree that perhaps a typical user spends most of his or her time on a computer in a web browser, but the OS becomes extremely important the minute they want to change the background (wallpaper) on their desktop or type out and print off a letter or a recipe. Can they find the system settings easily? Will the OS run the software they want to run? Does the OS support their printer?, etc.

wraith808:
And I agree with everything you just said. My only issue was someone (was it you?) said that the 9600 was a top end graphics card. It's not. It's a very capable solution for a large percentage of people and uses, but it's not a top end solution.
-Innuendo (October 15, 2009, 05:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's not *the* top end- but it's more advanced than most laptop video cards.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version