ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Installers: "This may take several minutes."

(1/3) > >>

superboyac:
We've all seen this message whenever we install programs.  My question to you is this:  Has it EVER taken several minutes?  Not to me.  We're not talking about Adobe Acrobat, or the MS Office Suite.  I'm talking about all our little shareware programs.  Isn't it time we got rid of this nonsense?

I'm just being facetious here.  I know it's just the default thing of these installers.  It's funny because for most of these programs, the installation barely lasts a couple of seconds.  I'd love to hear some funny stories if you've ever obediently waited several minutes installing some 2 MB program before deciding that something was wrong.

You:  "Um, I've waited several hours now, and it's still not done.  The message says several minutes, so should I cancel?"
Tech Support:  "Dude, it's just a stupid little message.  It doesn't actually mean anything."

MilesAhead:
Windows Vista SP1 installer should have "This may reboot your computer saying Phase1, Phase2, Phase3 with each boot, waste 2 hours, then say 'Service Pack not installed ... Rolling Back'  ... so do you really want to continue? I know I wouldn't"

edit: but to your point, seems a lot of this stuff originated back with slow systems and HDs. The continued expansion and performance of systems seems like it's taking people by surprise.  Note the lack of native 64 bit compilers and IDEs. It's almost like everyone was surprised Vista64 SP1 works and now all these PCs on the rack come with 6 GB+ ram and 64 bit OS, but no 64 bit software toys afa development(or at least not free/reasonably priced for the single developer.)

But I can remember installers that would just appear to hang.  You had to watch the disk LED to know your system wasn't locked up.

tranglos:
It's a holdover from who knows how long ago - Windows 3.0 days at least. And you're right, it never takes that long. My guess is the message comes as default with the installer builder(*), and few people bother to change it, since packaging an installer is generally tedious and painful, and you want to minimize the damage. Or maybe it's even hard-coded?

Also, a professional setup builder comes with localized resources for many languages. So you'll be unlikely to go and change the default messages. If you did, you'd have to have them localized from scratch, so why bother.

But you know what - more and more installers now are stubs that download components from their home websites. Then the message is relevant and true again. We've come a full circle.

(* InstallShield? are they still in action? I mostly see InnoSetup-based installers these days.)

MilesAhead:
IIRC Inno Setup just uses a progress bar.  A better approach I think. You tell people a 300KB program is going to take minutes to install and they think "Why?  Does it take you that long to figure out how to hose my system?"  :)

40hz:
Of course, there's always the option of capitalizing on how long the general population thinks such things will take...

Check this out. It could come in handy:

Fake Progress Bar

A fully configurable spoof progress bar for your desktop. Make it look like your PC is doing something - while you do something else!

* As featured in the Wall Street Journal!
    * Features include fully cutomizable titles, icons, buttons, speed and progress messages.
    * Disable the screensaver
--- End quote ---

Link: www.digitalvolcano.co.uk/content/fake-progress-bar

Just a thought. ;) ;D 8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version