ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Be warned - Acronis Backup and Recovery

<< < (2/5) > >>

Innuendo:
Offtopic: What is the purpose of that 100 MB partition?-Lashiec (October 01, 2009, 06:18 PM)
--- End quote ---

Some PCs freak out if the Windows boot files are too far out on the disk topography. I think this is MS's attempt to make sure all of the boot files are right at the beginning of the disc.

J-Mac:
Its all a bit shoddy and isn't going to do their corporate image much good.-Carol Haynes (September 30, 2009, 04:31 PM)
--- End quote ---

Acronis makes some of the most clever software in its market segment, but when they come out with a new version it's always one step forward & two steps back for a while. I'm really looking forward to a version of their software that has all their newest nifty tricks working in Windows 7, but I'm not holding my breath while I wait.
-Innuendo (October 01, 2009, 09:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately Acronis often doesn't fix the problems at all - they just wait out the year and release a new upgrade, claiming it fixes the bugs from the previous version. Of course the new versions always have their own bugs. Pretty bad when one of your most prominent features for new versions is that it fixes bugs from the previous version.

I've used Acronis True Image Home from version 8 through the 2009 version, which would have been 12 if they had stuck with their previous version numbering. And, as is the case with all overly greedy developers, the more added features that have appeared (read: bloat), the more troublesome the software becomes.

Jim

Carol Haynes:
I have to say I gave up on TrueImage Home edition after version 9 because of all the bugs. I transferred to Workstation 9.1 and through that version and TrueImage Echo Workstation I had virtually no issues whatsoever and I recommend people avoid the Home version and go for the corporate versions because that are rock solid.

Now they have left the True Image developement thread and moved to Backup & Recovery I can't in all honesty recommend to clients that they swap over. I have had nothing but hassles since the bloody thing was released. I must have spent about 5 hours troubleshooting a clients system to get this working - it has left her unconfident in the software and me 5 hours of my life gone forever (and a bad taste in the mouth). How anyone can release (and still be distributing) a product that instantly kills even a small proportion of corporate customers computers is beyond me. I could understand an error creeping in and them withdrawing and returning to the previous build until it is resolved but anyone who buys this piece of crap will still play lottery with their system by installing it.

MerleOne:
I too ditched Acronis True Image a long time ago, even if it was a really nice software for the first versions, especially the incremental imaging they were among the first to bring to the market (I think).  Also, I remember I had a problem on a saturday, where my recovery CD refused to boot on a new laptop.  I mailed them and 1 hour later, I got the download link for a new bootable CD, that solved my problem.  This was really customer service !

Then bugs started to get more frequent with new releases, and upgrade price too high for just a few improvements.  I finally switched for drive snapshot, and its differential image "philosophy" easier to manage than incrementals.  I also use Image for Windows/Linux because it can write DVD directly and with excellent reliability.  Sometimes, when I see a huge discount on Acronis (like $9 for TI11...) , I buy a new license, but I never use it, I just build the recovery CD...

40hz:
@Carol - I feel your pain. I used to swear by TrueImage. Now I swear at it... :down:

I have an old copy of TrueImage (Ver 9.0 Build: 2323) that works flawlessly under WinXP. I believe this was the last version that was released before Acronis started all that Home vs Enterprise edition nonsense.

The distinction between the two is totally artificial. Differentiating them was a move driven purely for business reasons. That alone would have been aggravating enough - assuming the newer releases worked correctly. Unfortunately, they didn't. From my experience, v9.0 was the last that did.

I've since gone over to Clonezilla (www.clonezilla.org), and I'm now seriously considering Maricum Reflect (www.macrium.com ) as a possible replacement now that Win7 is out. I plan to give Reflect a test run as soon as I have some open time. There's a free version available that will handle basic imaging and recovery if you decide you don't need all the features of the full version.

Worth a look.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version