topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:59 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Select Text Using Arrow Keys  (Read 6886 times)

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Select Text Using Arrow Keys
« on: January 03, 2006, 09:18 PM »
Hi guys.

Try this.

Select some text by clicking the mouse in the middle of a word then drag to the right.  When your selection gets to the second letter of the next word Windows will automatically select the whole of the first 2 words.  So this "assistance" is of no benefit if you wish to select only the first word, because you must tediously select exactly from the first letter to the last letter of that word.

But, you can double click a word & select that whole word, but this method also selects the space following that word.  Maybe the best method would have been 2 clicks for a word, 3 to include the following period, 4 for a sentence, 5 for a paragraph, 6 for everything?

Anyway I was thinking maybe text could be selected by holding shift & using the left & right arrow keys to select the beginning of the text & selecting the end of the text by holding the control key?

Maybe someone has a better suggestion than me?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2006, 07:50 PM by skywalka »

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Select Text Using Arrow Keys
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2006, 08:01 PM »
Maybe the beginning of the text can be selected with the left mouse button, & the end of the text can be selected with the right mouse button?

Rover

• Master of Smilies
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2006, 09:16 PM »
Just for the sake of clarification, Internet Explorer does the whole word selection, not windoze.  I only point this out because I am using Firefox and when I tried your experiment, it didn't work.  I can start in the middle of a word and select the rest of the sentence, page, paragraph and the highlighting does not chage from the middle of my first word.

$0.02
Insert Brilliant Sig line here

skywalka

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2006, 09:22 PM »
Interesting.  I use Maxthon which is based on IE so that's why I still get the problem.