topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:53 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: essay on artists asking for support: why i am not afraid to take your money  (Read 5143 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Very interesting essay and relevant to donationware ideas..

i was writing a press release and in it disclosed how much money i made from the recent london webcast (about 10k). i gave a copy of the text to jason to proofread over a cup of tea (that’s what rock stars do for each other nowadays instead of leaving lines of blow on the backs of bathroom toilets). he suggested taking the money part out. he gently advised; he’s heard people gossiping about me and my shameless revelations about my webcast/twitter income etc.

right around the same time i got an email from beth, regarding the future of my webcasting.. she suggested we do something totally free and not ask people for any money.. she’s been picking up on heat from people that the ask-the-fans-for-money thing has gotten out of control.

artists used to rely on middlemen to collect their money on their behalf, thereby rendering themselves innocent of cash-handling in the public eye. artists will now be coming straight to you (yes YOU, you who want their music, their films, their books) for their paychecks. please welcome them. please help them. please do not make them feel badly about asking you directly for money. dead serious: this is the way shit is going to work from now on and it will work best if we all embrace it and don’t fight it.

from http://www.boingboing.net/

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I won't become a fan of hers any time soon, but she got courage, I like that. :up:

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I welcome with open arms musicians selling their music direct to the consumer bypassing the middlemen saving everyone money.

However, don't try to sell your music direct and charge more for it than the middlemen do. Yes, I've seen at least one artist implement those tactics. I will _NOT_ pay you directly US$18 for your CD.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 09:30 AM by Innuendo »