topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 9:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Windows Security Essentials  (Read 105235 times)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows Security Essentials
« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2010, 02:46 PM »
I keep thinking about the 15 months left on my household license for VIPRE
Simply remove the third letter from 'months.'

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2010, 03:08 PM »
I'm SERIOUSLY tempted to try the beta of MSE 2 on my main notebook. The resource hogging issue has returned and I really don't care about the firewall

I've been using the MSE beta 2 for a few months and even with the automated scans allowed/running I hardly notice it's there. I did see it fp on one of its own update files once...but I needed a laugh that day anyhow. Other than that it has worked perfectly at all times.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2010, 03:23 PM »
fact is that I'm the result of the union of two lineages: one Yorkshire/Darbyshire and the other Scottish/Northumberland and I keep thinking about the 15 months left on my household license for VIPRE  :o

Sure you're not Canadian at all then Mike :p ;-)

I actually bought a years 'supply' of Vipre in the sales ages ago & never used it (it's supposed to start only when registered but at this stage I'll probably just use MSE when the occasion arises...)
Tom

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2010, 04:02 PM »
I'm SERIOUSLY tempted to try the beta of MSE 2 on my main notebook. The resource hogging issue has returned and I really don't care about the firewall

I've been using the MSE beta 2 for a few months and even with the automated scans allowed/running I hardly notice it's there. I did see it fp on one of its own update files once...but I needed a laugh that day anyhow. Other than that it has worked perfectly at all times.

Sorry - I posted in haste... I meant the resource hogging I have experienced intermittently with GFI's VIPRE...

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2010, 06:55 PM »

Sorry - I posted in haste... I meant the resource hogging I have experienced intermittently with GFI's VIPRE...

Indeed (that's how I took it), I was just tossing in another endorsement for MSE to enhance your temptation... ;)

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2010, 07:15 PM »
Ah... I understand now. You were casting yourself in the role of Eve, eh? Very nice... [Sigh] Right then, off to download beta 2!

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2010, 07:46 PM »
I just installed Beta 2 on my Eee yesterday. So far so good. I likely won't post again *unless* something goes amiss with it, and if after a few weeks it's doing well, I may roll out to the rest of my systems...

- Oshyan

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #132 on: November 27, 2010, 12:31 AM »
Whew! The VIPRE uninstaller BSOD my computer and it's been fun and games all evening. I've finally got VIPRE out, MSE b2 in and a functioning wifi card...

Anyway, just thought I'd ask if there are any recommended folder exclusions with beta 2? I know that in the current version it's deemed necessary to exclude MSE's own folders ...

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #133 on: November 27, 2010, 12:34 AM »
I just read up on uninstalling Eset NOD32 and it looks like a bear also - have to use their uninstaller/cleaner apparently. (I hate that!)

Jim

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #134 on: November 27, 2010, 01:40 AM »
If on XP Malwarebytes wants you do exclude their stuff http://forums.malwar...018&#entry181018 Besides such official recommendations I dont know any. Each program can have special problems, like Avast which excludes Firefox Session files http://forum.avast.c....msg445148#msg445148 Latest version still has that entry (and still not in effect if you move profile folder to alternative location). MSE forum should have such info. I would guess they recommend no tinkering at all.

Kaspersky has some https://support.kasp...e/tech?qid=208280767 Taken from a MS kb about AV vs. "Enterprise" computers http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158 May be MS own AV is aware of this?

I have had problems with another AV and Miro Media player/center thingy. Had to exclude folder with database files or they would corrupt. Process Monitor reveals all activity, filter out MSE process http://technet.micro...ernals/bb896645.aspx

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #135 on: December 04, 2010, 04:54 AM »
I would recommend that you trial the ß MSE (suck-it-and-see). I haven't had any issues with it so far. It had a minor bug that I reported to MS (that's what ßs are for though).

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2010, 08:42 AM »
I've been running the beta for over a week and haven't had a problem yet. Pretty happy with it - my CPU and harddrive don't get thrashed nearly as often as they were with VIPRE installed. Additionally, I'm running this out of the box - no exceptions or exclusions set up, and all is well. I ran VIPRE "tweaked" and it was still stumbling. I'm sure GFI will sort things out with VIPRE, but I'm content with MSE 2 for now.

Bamse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2010, 06:12 PM »
Don't have it installed now so can't say if beta will upgrade by itself or need help - but final is out today https://www.microsof...13687a7f&pf=true

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2010, 10:52 PM »
I can't tell if the beta is upgraded or not, but I just ran "update" and it downloaded and installed something largish... "About" doesn't indicate whether it is a beta or not.

At any rate, it's been rock solid since I installed it a few weeks ago  :Thmbsup:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2010, 07:09 AM »
After running the MSE ß, I downloaded and installed the latest version ("About" now reads):
 - Security Essentials Version: 2.0.657.0
 - Antimalware Client Version: 3.0.8107.0
 - Engine Version: 1.1.6402.0
 - Antivirus definition: 1.95.2722.0
 - Antispyware definition: 1.95.2722.0

On 2010-12-29, I read A Typical Freelance Job and as a result I downloaded, installed and ran the free version of Malwarebytes, which found these registry entries (no actual viruses or Trojans) - this is from the log:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\(default) (Hijack.Drives) -> Bad: (open) Good: (none) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\StartMenuLogoff (PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.