ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Security Essentials

<< < (13/28) > >>

Bamse:
Must say the MICROSOFT name triggering doubts is understandable (they should have made MSE when XP was released!) but not really if you feel there are many tiny Microsoft clones in security business. With some exceptions perhaps but generally my point of view, so I welcome MSE and hope it will do well. At least enough to make competition (not competition if you ask MS but BS) make an extra effort. Strange that both AVG and Avast just happens to put out new versions right about now  8) To make a reason for being alive they need to be better. MSE serves other purpose than just being a more than good enough scanner for GrandMa and family.

cmpm:
Might want to be sure to have an uninstaller, before installing windows security essentials.

Like Revo.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

Put it on "advanced" mode to get it all out.

Yeah, I tried it. Uninstalled it.
That's all I have to say about it.

Innuendo:
Out of curiosity, was he running with Administrative rights when this happened?-Stoic Joker (October 13, 2009, 06:22 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll have to ask him and get back to you on that one. What I can tell you so far is that he was running Windows 7 and UAC was not disabled.

Innuendo:
Well that is up to you Innuendo but dont think you test basing evaluation on random info.-Bamse (October 14, 2009, 12:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

Prove to me how you know 100% how I test and what I do? Please don't assume to know me, my computing environment, or how I test. Also, please do not assume that if someone reaches different conclusions than you that they are wrong.

You are set on not liking MSE so use a different standard no security software can pass - including the one you use right now.
--- End quote ---

This is also a false assumption on your part. When I first heard about MSE I had high hopes for it & had told everyone I know that finally a free, easy-to-use security program had arrived & they should consider installing it immediately. I had even installed it on a few people's computers who were less worldly about computers & did not have very much experienced. To prevent another false assumption on your part, I embraced the idea of MSE & advocated its use to everyone who did not want to pay for security software.

This was before the test results came out that showed that MSE lets a lot of stuff through. This was before my knowledgeable friend's experience where MSE let numerous trojans install. This was before the information came out that MSE has no heuristics at all

Unfortunately, I'm having to eat crow & go back to everyone I recommended considering MSE to reconsider installing it due to its poor performance.

This was just confirming what you want to hear.
--- End quote ---

This is false. I did not want to hear this as I wanted an effective ad-free security program to recommend to friends and family. MS let me down. They usually don't, but this time they did.

You seem to think I have a vendetta against anything with Microsoft's name on it and that is simply an unfounded accusation. I have a bought and paid for version of every software package Microsoft has sold. My keyboard and mouse both were made by Microsoft. Somewhere in a dark corner of a closet I even have a Microsoft Phone System. Yeah, I'm one of the 6 people worldwide who bought one of those.

Releasing a security program without heuristics in this day and age is worthless. It would have been fine to release something like that when XP was released, but in 2009 it's silly as the malware comes to quickly to rely on signatures alone.

This is my last reply to you on this subject as you seem keen on liking to disagree with things you assume to be true and just simply aren't. So feel free to have the last word, but I don't see the point in discussing something with someone who *imagines* what the other person's viewpoint is rather than listening to the other's points without making assumptions.

Bamse:
You dont even have it on your computer dude so how can you say you have done any testing? Are they releasing a security program without heuristics? No they are not. Rootkits also covered. You have more basic questions go look them up. This is pretty low. Im not assuming, just replying to your weird ideas of this little program. You sprint to negative conclusions at first chance. Start with getting facts right at least, you can still hate it. Just be a bit fair and informed. So now we have test results? from where? Ive not seen any. Is it the friend again, yes why not focus on 1 friend with a program being spread globally. We continue the if not as fast as Kaspersky MSE is flawed logic. If he was god you still cant hang your "flawed" idea on his experience, can never make sense - especially not if you say you run Outpost Security Suite. Seems like you are thrashing it to me. Zero interest for anything but picking up negative or false info is typically sign of that, then time stops since you have what you need for conclusion. Lets see 724 posts - ok so you know how that works... You wait for expected ??? or what did it do? and then you are off. Dont say you are testing anything dude. If you run Outpost you know how these programs work out in the real world and that issues are close friends to them. Ive pointed out at least one which might not be bug but at least an annoyance of the more severe. Others here and there have said the same, I have researched. Dont scream! Im not able to find any other problem unless we go down to GUI and such. Really. My offer of making any other free AV look silly still stands by the way. If you test AVs by not installing them, you could seek other sources, google it! Add and substract, some day do your own testing. Then you learn.

Well the MICROSOFT name being the major trigger I could understand. Some will feel that way. Those who think others should know about their position write just like you - but flawed and worthless label is explained and justified based on your knowledge, so not the case. Pro and con concept is not really your cup of tea I guess.

Btw, your friends story about MSE being transparent to infections is about the first time Ive seen that. Really. I might be close to 100% sure detection rate is not an issue, that I will do you the favor of suggesting putting focus on other matters. If Im right what will happen is your stories get old, very old. Im not sure you know how malware world works, but references to randomly picked incidents, which require a lot more info to be more than hmmm, and basing a thrashing on that is simply rambling. Unless whatever is just always crap it really is rambling. Thing is MS have not had bigger problems than so many others with the old OneCare for quite some time. MSE is supposed to be better and nothing indicate that is not the case. This fact you have figured out could be false, just trying to help...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version