ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Security Essentials

<< < (6/28) > >>

Bamse:
MSE does not have excellent virtual "standing" but is a lot better than your email indicate Innuendo. Actually just an average AV which any Grandma can use is enough to reach "approved" status if you ask me. I doubt MSE will ever get gold medal in whatever "test" but on the other hand less than at least average should not be optional. All depends on how much Microsoft can be bothered. They did relax a bit too much with Defender I think. Let us reevaluate in 3-4 months time. Im pretty confident it will stand public testing though very much aware not all welcome this new player - for obvious monetary reasons. They are prepared... Symantec especially and who have the biggest market share? ;) This is more math and accounting than concern for secuirty that is for sure. Microsoft is trying to sneak in by saying it is mainly for those without any AV, yeah right. Hardly anyone notice, hush, hush. They go for maximum market share as always. In this area I welcome MS lust for high numbers since alternatives are worse in one way or the other.

Which reminds me of an exception. Avast just released an almost completely functional beta 5.

Innuendo:
MSE does not have excellent virtual "standing" but is a lot better than your email indicate Innuendo. Actually just an average AV which any Grandma can use is enough to reach "approved" status if you ask me.-Bamse (October 03, 2009, 03:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think you misread my message. I was replying to sajman99 who was saying that *I* was in excellent standing, not MSE. As I have said all along, it's too early yet to see how well MSE's standing will be in independent tests. If it's anything like my friend's experience, however, it will not be suitable for recommending even to Grandma...unless you like going over to Grandma's once a month to clean up what MSE lets through.

Which reminds me of an exception. Avast just released an almost completely functional beta 5.
--- End quote ---

I hope they have fixed the bug that interferes with the operation of some programs that write a lot of data to the hard drive.

Bamse:
No I did not misread, was not directed at you but anyone putting faith in "standings" on an internet forum  8) You are probably a fantastic human being without such praise.

Well you were sure not to recommend MSE because of an email. Only time will show if it is worth anything. Whole point of MSE are those Grandmas - reliability is more important than whatever test unless really crappy result. Made your friends bug-report interesting. There are bugs for sure but this type must not be among them, why they did all the beta testing naturally. If reproducible he should complain at their forum.

Beta or not, bugs are close friends of security products. Dont know if Avast has one about not handling high hd traffic. I doubt it is a universal one. Would say Bugs for such old and proven to work program are usually more subtle but of course annoying for those who suffer. Avast 4 is no speed king, will expect 5 to be better in that discipline as well. Check their forum. Not sure they bother fixing 4 but if complaint has meat on it I think there is good chance they listen. Advantage of small company. Microsoft has been fairly open with MSE but again time will show if they go zzzz when program is considered "done". No such thing as "done" with AVs. Only real problem I see with MSE is it becomes Defender or IE7. Dont think so but who knows.

sajman99:
Bamse, all I meant with the comment about Innuendo's "standing" is that although his "email from a friend" is highly anecdotal evidence, I completely believe it and regard it as reliable info based upon his reputation here at DC. It's enough for me (I'm certainly not speaking for anybody else) to resist the software junkie urge to rush out and install Essentials since I am presently content with Avira AntiVir Personal.

I realize this is a judgment call, and others may wish to subpoena his email records or ransack his home. :P Just kidding, folks.

Bamse:
I have thin skin when it comes to conclusive statements about anything related to security. Check, double-check then wonder if it really could be true  8) Only facts counts. This seeking the truth and lack of trust might origin from my dark past as heavy user of cracks and such things. Educational though and sometimes I infect a Virtualbox just to get reminded of how things really work, or dont work. Everyone should do that.

Im not really interested in MSE as such but it has same effect as when Norton starts to make decent software. Like an world wide event which should be celebrated! Also free alternatives are not many and I have problems jumping on subscription idea. More so when we are at Windows 7, XP fading out. Seems right that MS offer an AV to make Windows complete. AV still a must for majority. Dont mind them taking market shares either so sympathy is towards MSE. You can be absolutely sure it will be thrashed if there are any problems. No risk of MS getting away with poor performance. Symantec had "report" prepared for release date, MSE is terrible "not enough!" they scream 8) A local security site, which also sell Kaspersky etc., do not recommend MSE based on a quick-test. Ready on release date. There will be much more of this and it will continue. MSE is a provocation to Symantec, Trend, Mcafee, all companies with interests in this field.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version