ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Security Essentials

<< < (4/28) > >>

Bamse:
Actually Microsoft have been looking good at AV-Comparatives for quite some time now. And they still use OneCare not MSE. Not another Windows Defender and I dont see how they can go zzzzz on this. I have used for as long as possible and can only say I understand why certain companies are busy talking it down  8)

There are some annoyances of course, if used to Kaspersky Suite you will laugh at interface, but I would guess main problem will be how high ram usage is received. Runs smoothly overall but Task Manager do not lie. Not that it matters out in the real world but surely good news for Avira, Avast. Avast soon release version 5 btw. Also looking very nice and I have read it is compatible with MSE. How that works Im not sure of but would be a wicked free package.

Innuendo, I think you should reconsider improving Outpost malware module because Virusbuster leaves something to be desired. MSE is not really unproven so if you want to get closer to magical 100% hitrate you should try it out. Im testing Outpost free right now, just because I can  8) No problems with MSE so should work fine with Pro as well.

Carol Haynes:
How long before the anti-trust lawsuits start up.

I suppose it is reasonable that MS should off free antivirus and other anti-malware protection since 99% of the time it seems to be Windows itself that has the security holes in it that are being exploited.

Just a shame they allowed a large third party group of developers build a thriving business base that Microsoft will now undoubtedly try and market out of business.

Perhaps MS should spend more time working on stopping the holes in the first place - and releasing patches in a reasonable time when they appear (which they aren't always good at).

Given that MacOS seems to be a growing target for malware perhaps MS should also produce a Mac version ;)

f0dder:
I suppose it is reasonable that MS should off free antivirus and other anti-malware protection since 99% of the time it seems to be Windows itself that has the security holes in it that are being exploited.-Carol Haynes (October 01, 2009, 04:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
I kinda had the impression that flash and java were the biggest sinners these days, especially since UAC was introduced?

Innuendo:
Innuendo, I think you should reconsider improving Outpost malware module because Virusbuster leaves something to be desired.-Bamse (October 01, 2009, 04:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

While it's true that Agnitum licenses the VirusBuster engine they have customized it to their own use & that's why you will see Agnitum's programs score higher in tests than VirusBuster although they use the same engine.

Agnitum also employs symbiotic relationships between all their various modules to give an experience that the the total experience is more effective than the sum of its parts. In another thread you spoke highly of MalwareBytes AntiMalware. Just the other day I purposely infected a PC with some stinky malware & Agnitum's security suite was able to detect everything MBAM did and they both cleaned the PC equally well. I was impressed.

And I am not an Agnitum fan by any stretch of the imagination. The only reason I am a customer is one day I had a fit of being nickeled and dimed to death for signature updates by the security companies & Agnitum had Outpost Security Suite Pro on sale with a lifetime license & free updates forever so I only bought it out of rage not confidence in their product.  :)    However, I have been running it for the past few months & it has caught (and blocked) all sorts of attacks as I happily explore the seedy underbelly of the internet.

Innuendo:
I kinda had the impression that flash and java were the biggest sinners these days, especially since UAC was introduced?-f0dder (October 01, 2009, 05:58 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh, they are and it's only going to get worse. Even the Mac users are starting to experience Flash & Java trying to inject malware into their systems. So far it has only been primitive attacks, but I'm sure as time goes on the attacks will become more elaborate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version