ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Security Essentials

<< < (3/28) > >>

tomos:
lanux: you just gave bad news:
MSE will be offered to users in 19 countries including Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, France, Germany, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, the United Kingdom and the United States.-http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/09/28/microsoft-security-essentials-leaves-beta-available-for-downloa/
--- End quote ---
No Portugal :(
-jgpaiva (September 30, 2009, 08:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

maybe they mean it will be actively offered (windows update?) to users only in these countries.
(which would mean it would work anywhere - if that's the case)

Innuendo:
I'm sure it's released and around for awhile there'll be no trouble downloading it no matter where you are in the world. That's just how the internet works. Companies try to trap their programs within country borders, but the internet knows no such boundaries.

How good MSE is, however, is something that we're going to have to wait to find out. Once the independent testing organizations put MSE through its paces & release the results we'll then know how it stacks up to its competitors.

mwb1100:
Looks very interesting - and it even supports XP, which surprises me a bit.  However, MS has somewhat of a history of abortive antivirus attempts.  But, it seems like this one might stick (but that's just an impression with no particular rational backing).

I'm not throwing out my exisitng solutions unless they show problems, but I do have a machine that I was evaluating new anti-malware on because my existing 'standard' stuff I had on it was bringing it to its knees.  I'll be switching that over to MSE to see if it'll do the trick.

sajman99:
Despite the fact I don't think I have pre-conceived notions regarding Essentials, I cannot seem to get that idiom about "the fox guarding the chicken house" out of my head. ;)

Innuendo:
Despite the fact I don't think I have pre-conceived notions regarding Essentials, I cannot seem to get that idiom about "the fox guarding the chicken house" out of my head. ;)
-sajman99 (September 30, 2009, 01:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

My thoughts ran in another direction. Although it is an unproven program I was tempted to install it for MS's reputation for using undocumented system calls & hooks  would probably be able to integrate a security solution into Windows better than any outsider could.

However, I resisted temptation and am sticking with Outpost Security Suite Pro for now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version