Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site September 17, 2014, 02:37:05 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2013! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Security Essentials  (Read 40645 times)
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2010, 02:46:22 PM »

I keep thinking about the 15 months left on my household license for VIPRE
Simply remove the third letter from 'months.'

Chris
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2010, 03:08:16 PM »

I'm SERIOUSLY tempted to try the beta of MSE 2 on my main notebook. The resource hogging issue has returned and I really don't care about the firewall

I've been using the MSE beta 2 for a few months and even with the automated scans allowed/running I hardly notice it's there. I did see it fp on one of its own update files once...but I needed a laugh that day anyhow. Other than that it has worked perfectly at all times.
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2010, 03:23:57 PM »

fact is that I'm the result of the union of two lineages: one Yorkshire/Darbyshire and the other Scottish/Northumberland and I keep thinking about the 15 months left on my household license for VIPRE  ohmy

Sure you're not Canadian at all then Mike :p ;-)

I actually bought a years 'supply' of Vipre in the sales ages ago & never used it (it's supposed to start only when registered but at this stage I'll probably just use MSE when the occasion arises...)

Tom
Darwin
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2010, 04:02:22 PM »

I'm SERIOUSLY tempted to try the beta of MSE 2 on my main notebook. The resource hogging issue has returned and I really don't care about the firewall

I've been using the MSE beta 2 for a few months and even with the automated scans allowed/running I hardly notice it's there. I did see it fp on one of its own update files once...but I needed a laugh that day anyhow. Other than that it has worked perfectly at all times.

Sorry - I posted in haste... I meant the resource hogging I have experienced intermittently with GFI's VIPRE...

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #129 on: November 26, 2010, 06:55:54 PM »

Sorry - I posted in haste... I meant the resource hogging I have experienced intermittently with GFI's VIPRE...

Indeed (that's how I took it), I was just tossing in another endorsement for MSE to enhance your temptation... Wink
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #130 on: November 26, 2010, 07:15:41 PM »

Ah... I understand now. You were casting yourself in the role of Eve, eh? Very nice... [Sigh] Right then, off to download beta 2!

"Some people have a way with words, other people,... oh... have not way" - Steve Martin
JavaJones
Review 2.0 Designer
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #131 on: November 26, 2010, 07:46:21 PM »

I just installed Beta 2 on my Eee yesterday. So far so good. I likely won't post again *unless* something goes amiss with it, and if after a few weeks it's doing well, I may roll out to the rest of my systems...

- Oshyan

The New Adventures of Oshyan Greene - A life in pictures...
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #132 on: November 27, 2010, 12:31:44 AM »

Whew! The VIPRE uninstaller BSOD my computer and it's been fun and games all evening. I've finally got VIPRE out, MSE b2 in and a functioning wifi card...

Anyway, just thought I'd ask if there are any recommended folder exclusions with beta 2? I know that in the current version it's deemed necessary to exclude MSE's own folders ...

J-Mac
Supporting Member

« Reply #133 on: November 27, 2010, 12:34:47 AM »

I just read up on uninstalling Eset NOD32 and it looks like a bear also - have to use their uninstaller/cleaner apparently. (I hate that!)

Jim

"I am getting so tired of slitting the throats of people who say that I am a violent psychopath."
Bamse
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #134 on: November 27, 2010, 01:40:37 AM »

If on XP Malwarebytes wants you do exclude their stuff http://forums.malwarebyte...p=181018&#entry181018 Besides such official recommendations I dont know any. Each program can have special problems, like Avast which excludes Firefox Session files http://forum.avast.com/in...52567.msg445148#msg445148 Latest version still has that entry (and still not in effect if you move profile folder to alternative location). MSE forum should have such info. I would guess they recommend no tinkering at all.

Kaspersky has some https://support.kaspersky...m/pure/tech?qid=208280767 Taken from a MS kb about AV vs. "Enterprise" computers http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158 May be MS own AV is aware of this?

I have had problems with another AV and Miro Media player/center thingy. Had to exclude folder with database files or they would corrupt. Process Monitor reveals all activity, filter out MSE process http://technet.microsoft....ysinternals/bb896645.aspx
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #135 on: December 04, 2010, 04:54:34 AM »

I would recommend that you trial the ß MSE (suck-it-and-see). I haven't had any issues with it so far. It had a minor bug that I reported to MS (that's what ßs are for though).
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #136 on: December 04, 2010, 08:42:50 AM »

I've been running the beta for over a week and haven't had a problem yet. Pretty happy with it - my CPU and harddrive don't get thrashed nearly as often as they were with VIPRE installed. Additionally, I'm running this out of the box - no exceptions or exclusions set up, and all is well. I ran VIPRE "tweaked" and it was still stumbling. I'm sure GFI will sort things out with VIPRE, but I'm content with MSE 2 for now.

Bamse
Supporting Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #137 on: December 16, 2010, 06:12:28 PM »

Don't have it installed now so can't say if beta will upgrade by itself or need help - but final is out today https://www.microsoft.com...-33d813687a7f&pf=true
Darwin
Charter Member

« Reply #138 on: December 16, 2010, 10:52:10 PM »

I can't tell if the beta is upgraded or not, but I just ran "update" and it downloaded and installed something largish... "About" doesn't indicate whether it is a beta or not.

At any rate, it's been rock solid since I installed it a few weeks ago  Thmbsup

IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2010, 07:09:04 AM »

After running the MSE ß, I downloaded and installed the latest version ("About" now reads):
 - Security Essentials Version: 2.0.657.0
 - Antimalware Client Version: 3.0.8107.0
 - Engine Version: 1.1.6402.0
 - Antivirus definition: 1.95.2722.0
 - Antispyware definition: 1.95.2722.0

On 2010-12-29, I read A Typical Freelance Job and as a result I downloaded, installed and ran the free version of Malwarebytes, which found these registry entries (no actual viruses or Trojans) - this is from the log:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\(default) (Hijack.Drives) -> Bad: (open) Good: (none) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\StartMenuLogoff (PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.044s | Server load: 0.16 ]