ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm tired of being told.

<< < (2/7) > >>

MrCrispy:
There is NO easy solution to security. Its not even a technical problem, its social engineering, and there is a lot more money to be made exploiting it than fixing, so guess who'll always win. Platforms like the Mac give the illusion of being safer while being technically inferior. The moment OSX/Linux reach anything close to Windows' marketshare, they'll face the exact same (and worse) malware issues.

Paul Keith:
@MrCrispy,

That has some truth in it but you forget the fact that Linux has some social engineering of it's own. (Multiple Distroes/Constant new versions coming out.)

It'd be like saying once Firefox or Opera gets as popular as IE, they'd be targeted. That would be true but they still would be better than IE.

@sri,

There was a short while when Nod underperformed against it's competitors. Not by much but not sure if that's why the site ranks it lower.

Can't really say I understand the site though. For example, how can Antivir Free be any less secure than Antivir Premium?

Innuendo:
I just glanced through the quote and your post.

To me it doesn't look like a headache issue. Just install nod32/kaspersky + Malwarebytes' anti-malware and you are safe.
-sri (September 29, 2009, 09:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

It's obvious you just glanced because the entire meaning of the quoted text was the person was being told what to install to have a secure system & then you reply exhibiting the same behavior that was being complained about. :D

Can't really say I understand the site though. For example, how can Antivir Free be any less secure than Antivir Premium?-Paul Keith (September 30, 2009, 07:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

One factor is probably the fact that the premium version gets signature updates quicker than the free version. It may also be that the free version is using an older version of Avira's detection engine.

Paul Keith:
Ouch Innuendo! Harsh... :P

One factor is probably the fact that the premium version gets signature updates quicker than the free version. It may also be that the free version is using an older version of Avira's detection engine.
--- End quote ---

Yeah, that's true but it seems weird if those are the criteria.

Avira Free auto-updates so even when the premium version gets it earlier, it shouldn't really affect performance that much.

Also as far as I know, what makes Avira so great as a free product is that the detection engine is on-par with the paid version except the Premium version has an internet blocker that can sometimes slow down sites. (IMO Avira is Donationware in everything but name. Which still makes it great as action speaks louder than words but words still sell quality products and gets them their revenue.)

Innuendo:
Ouch Innuendo! Harsh... :P-Paul Keith (September 30, 2009, 11:03 AM)
--- End quote ---

Harsh? I hope not...I was just teasing. I didn't mean any malice with my words.

Avira Free auto-updates so even when the premium version gets it earlier, it shouldn't really affect performance that much.
--- End quote ---

I haven't used Avira for years so I can't speak too specifically about why things might be the way they are. The reason I quit using it was way too many false positives. But the way the test results are could be due to what I referred to about updating. If the paid version updates hourly & the free version weekly then that could cause the results. Also, if the free version is using a detection engine that's 3 or 4 versions older than the paid one does that could cause a huge gap in the detection rates as well.

These companies that offer both paid and free versions of their software have to walk a fine line. They want to put enough features into the free version to entice a person to buy the paid product, but not so many that they tick off their paid customers. If I'm paying $50 or whatever per year for a product I don't want someone to get the same level of protection I do who is paying nothing. I'll just move to the free product and then the company loses revenue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version