ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

For those who write articles on CMS, a question.

<< < (2/6) > >>

mouser:
afraid not.. though i think it's really time for me to write a follow up to my 1yr report article about DonationCoder ( which i link to every chance i get, since i'm the only one who will :) ).

jgpaiva:
since i'm the only one who will :)
-mouser (September 28, 2009, 12:16 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's too bad, I really enjoyed reading it ;)

40hz:
Here's another thing thing you might want to consider.

If you are running a website where it's just you authoring the articles; you're only updating it weekly (like a formal newsletter); and you're fairly organized about things - then a CMS might be overkill for you.

If you create a well designed homepage, create basic article templates, and use a carefully thought out page directory structure, it's not such a big deal to manually maintain your website. I know several people who do that even though they have more than sufficient technical chops to go the CMS route.

On their home page they have links to: Featured Article, What's New, and Past Articles. These links get updated by some fairly simple code which grabs the information from easily maintained text files that are nothing more than title information and page links. Every individual article page has a single link which returns you to the homepage.

Newpage uploads are handled by a simple FTP utility. Most of them have automated the update process via some macros on their authoring workstation. Synchronization software might also be an option since it would allow for automatic mirroring of your pages with your home machine.  Instant backups!

A basic search engine, BBS module, and separate bog engine in one rare case (she likes to ramble and think out loud when she's not writing her carefully focused and meticulously edited main articles) takes care of the rest.

They prefer this system (or variants of it) because it allows them full flexibility to design a website their way without needing to beat somebody else's vision of how to do things into submission.

Something else to think about. :) :Thmbsup:

Paul Keith:
Thanks 40hz, I forgot to add that I'm using a free micro-blogging service, so outside of templates I don't really have much options.

It doesn't really help that I don't know either systems well to start immediately from creating sections for Featured Article, What's New, and Past Articles if I do pay for a blogging service like Wordpress.

I guess, I really should have thought more about the question.

PPLandry:
I wrote this a while back, regarding the IQ community web site, which has all 3 types: blogs, forum, wiki-style books:

http://www.sqlnotes.net/drupal5/index.php?q=node/96
There are currently 3 types of posts: Blogs, Forum and Book Page.

Some of you may have noticed the similarities between these 3 types:

* There is a first post (rich text editor - HTML type), which can be tagged, files attached
    * On which users can comment. Comments are  organized in hierarchy (flat view is possible too)
    * All three types are shown on the New Posts page.

Of course, there would not need to be 3 types if they didn't have some differences:

Blogs:

* Post belong to 1 user. Only he (and admins) can edit.
    * All user blog posts can be viewed, in a blog-like reversed chronological list, on the user page (my blogs are shown here)
    * When viewing blogs, a collapsable section appears in the left sidebar. (bug:No title). It shows useful links (my blogs, add new blog, Top bloggers, blogs grouped by year / month, etc)

Forums:

* Belongs to 1 user. Only he (and admins) can edit.
    * Post are organized in section and sub-sections
    * The forum page provides a nice UI

Book pages:

* All users can edit
    * Can be organized in hierarchy (book, section, sub-section)
    * Table of contents are automatically generated
    * Printer-friendly version will print the current page and all sub-pages

So, one can see that the same concept is applied slightly differently to give a great knowledge-base environment

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version