topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 4:32 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Switching to Linux: A Windows developer’s view  (Read 6023 times)

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Switching to Linux: A Windows developer’s view
« on: September 28, 2009, 08:22 AM »
I found the switch easy enough as a user, but it's more interesting to read a developer who did so. Anteru writes about making the switch to Linux from a developer's view.

A few weeks ago, I switched my development environment from Windows to Linux, on a project which was developed so far on Windows only. In this post, I want to describe the issues that brought me to this switch, a short overview how I did the actual port, and some observations on Linux for developers. This is the first post in a series of at least two, the second post will describe the tools I use on Linux right now.
Actually, the switch is so simple that Microsoft should get concerned. For instance, I have been developing mainly on Windows since several years, and I occasionally tried Linux, but I never did a complete switch due to various smaller and bigger problems. However, since 1-2 years, the Linux desktop, together with the tools, is good enough to provide some real benefit, especially if you cannot access the latest Microsoft products. Microsoft used to have the best developer tools by far, and quite stable APIs, which were in my opinions the corner stones of their success. However, they’re changing APIs now rather quickly (WinForms? WPF? WinAPI?), they provide new platforms which require rewriting your application....

In a followup post, Antero lays out his tools:
That’s probably the tools which account for 99% of my work time. I hope you find this list useful if you come also try to get started with Linux development, at least I would have saved some time if I knew it beforehand  What’s very nice about nearly all of this tools is that installing them is very easy, as they are free and directly available from the package manager – something which I miss on Windows.

The responders' comments are also informative.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 08:24 AM by zridling »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Switching to Linux: A Windows developer’s view
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 10:36 AM »
this is an interesting post, sorry i missed it originally  :up:

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 10:12 PM »
Maybe I should have posted it in the 'Developer's Corner,' but I never go there. I should. I really should!

3of0

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 01:52 PM »
This is something I've been looking for a while, and I'm just going through my newsletters from November.  Thank you for the link. :D
« Last Edit: February 18, 2010, 01:58 PM by rwremsik »