Newsletter for September 27th, 2009
Codename "Slackers in September"
1. Newsletter Editorial
Well, September is almost over and it looks like this edition of the newsletter is going to make it onto the airwaves and into the imaginary newsstands just in time to avoid any major embarrassment. It's actually been over 5 weeks since the last newsletter -- way too long. So this newsletter is packed to the gills with new interesting posts and website discoveries. So without further ado let's get to it. --mouser
2. Your Participation Requested
We welcome everyone's participation on the forum, no matter what your level of computer knowledge or how long you've been a DC member. If you're still waiting to make your first post, see the links below for some good places to jump in.
- Thinking about setting up a dedicated "secure PC" in my house.. Thoughts?
- What is your preferred font?
- Do you touch-type or hunt-and-peck?
- Freeware Website Creator For Dummies?
- Dying technologies: do you still use a printer much?
3. Fun, Games and Amusements on the Web
If you've read the newsletter up to this point, take a break and check out some of the lighter fare from the forum - humour, videos, and games..
- Wired Science: Best Science Visualization Videos of 2009
- Dice Tower starts Top 100 Board Games Video Series for 2009 w/ kids perspective
- Autotune the Cats!
- Social Media Venn Diagram (humour)
- Tower Defense Flash Game of the Week: Silver Maze
- How to Lucid Dream -- Nice wikiHow page
- Life Imitates Art - DateCheck - run a background check on your date
- How to host you Windows 7 house party... wtf?
- top secret: tech support cheat sheet (xkcd)
- 8-bit trip with animated Lego bricks
- Baby Cody bids farewell to Yorkshire and a final day out to remember ...
4. Website Discoveries
What's new on the world wide web? What fun new sites have forum members discovered? Let's find out..
- Storybird: Website lets your kids create and share fun picture book stories
- Printable forms and more for teachers
- Website helps you type Special Symbols and more
- If you have a samsung 204b or 204t or similar that doesn't work/blinks off
5. General Software Discussion
Almost half the posts on the forum fall into the category of general software discussions, questions, recommendations, etc. This is one of the most active sections of the DC forum and a great resource if you're trying to solve a software or hardware related problem. We get so much traffic on this board that we've split the recent content into to sections in the newsletter - general software and specific software discussions.
- Nice network monitoring utilities and other free donationware at "the sz"
- Alternative to filehamster?
- Most Recently Installed Programs
- Manually resort files & rename according to new sequence - possible?
- Add tabbed documents to MS Office
- Looking for a URL auto-change/manipulate program for numeric values.
- Dealing with HUGE text files?
- How can I "turn off" (not disable) extended monitor?
6. Specific Software Discussion
This section of the newsletter draws attention to some of the standout discussions about specific programs that have been started since the last newsletter.
- LockHunter: Fix file-in-use problems on Windows x64 (free donationware)
- Bug.n - A Gridmove similar application
- ManicTime: Interesting and nice looking free time tracking tool
- New Launcher app with automation feature: Blaze
- ControlPad: interesting new launcher app
- Question About MS Word Lists & Tables
- Good news for any InfoSelect users
- Firefox - new window - can you remember the google search you opened with
7. Coding Snacks and Other DC Member Software
The Coding Snacks Section is where people can request small utilities to be coded while they wait. Since the last newsletter we've had a *TON* of new requests that have been filled -- several forum members are on fire lately! And there have been some really cool new tools developed.
- CircleDock: A New Unofficial Updated Version
- Whats in my fridge?
- Toggle mouse acceleration with a simple program
- Looking for a AutoSave program
- Run a bat-file on system shutdown
- Split .txts into smaller ones when there is a space line
- Tool to Enable/Disable Default Zip Behavior in WinVista/Win7?
- Toggle Switch with a Global Hotkey to change Power schemes?
- Right Click any file and create New Folder by its Name
- One click to add to search url date defining parameters
- Use AHK GUI to make translucent overlay over apps that are not skinnable
- Extract folder and file paths from specified folders
- Auto Perform, a mIRC enhancement
- Selector 1.95
8. Mouser's Applications
I hope you'll allow me to include in the newsletter some threads about my software. There have been some really cool postings by DC forum members about new plugins and alias packs. And if you are a plugin author please don't miss the new wiki that we set up which will hopefully make it easier to discover plugins. Plus I got some help from a forum member who collected all of the known plugins and alias packs and we put them up as one big zip file for those who really want to jump right into FARR with both feet.
- New FARR Wiki created for plugins and aliases - Farr plugin coders please help us fill it out!
- FARR - Master Download Zip of Every FARR Plugin and Alias - FARR coders please read
- Clipboard Help+Spell Fix for failure to paste bug
- Recent Sightings: Browser tray switch on tekzilla daily
- Recent Sightings: Process Tamer is on Ziff-Davis's Baseline website
- Commercial Application? (Flipbook Printer)
- 30 More Days of DonationCoder Screencasts
- FARR - New Alias: MultiSearch
- FARR Alias - Freeware and Tech Sites Search Alias Group
- FARR - Calling all plugin coders who used Fscript/Fsubscript -- please upgrade to latest
- FARR Plugin - AMPL [beta version 0.5.1]
- FARR Plugin - FARR alt tab 2.0 beta
9. Developer's Corner
If you're not a developer, don't let the title of this section scare you away - there is likely something of interest to you here! It's more than just a forum for the discussion of software development, it's also where we discuss web design, entrepreneurial struggles, and general productivity issues. It's great to see that the section has been pretty active over the last month -- keep it up people!
- Google getting into micropayments
- Godin: the end of dumb software
- PayPal fee change dust-up
- JayIsGames.com - Casual Gameplay Design Competition #6 Opens - 10/4/09 deadline
- RAD Studio 2010 Released Today (Delphi/C++ Builder)
- Top ten geek business myths
- How to Build a Popularity Algorithm You can be Proud of
- OpenGameArt.org - Free art and graphics for game designers
- Super Mario AI Competition
- Joomla experts: what extension for blog comments?
- Idea: A content management system that lives up to the name
- The unspoken truth about managing geeks
- 1p2u: a new twist on the micropayments
- Xna Xsi free tool to make 3D games - Pinky Egg RPG
- Choice of application installer?
10. Giveaways and Discounts in October
This week we have a fun giveaway and discount, on a duplicate file manager tool that we got an early preview of a while ago when the author stopped by DonationCoder to tell us about it.
- Remove duplicate files, folders and archives - DupeTrasher 2009
- Enter this month's drawing to win a copy of DupeTrasher2009 or a DonationCoder mug
11. News You Can Use
DC Member Ehtyar produces wonderful weekly summaries of important tech/computer/security news articles that he comes across on the web. A big hit on the forum. We're still wondering how he keeps up the pace and when will he collapse from exhaustion?