topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 12:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newsletter for September 27th, 2009 - Codename "Slackers in September"  (Read 24645 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Newsletter for September 27th, 2009
Codename "Slackers in September"

1. Newsletter Editorial

Well, September is almost over and it looks like this edition of the newsletter is going to make it onto the airwaves and into the imaginary newsstands just in time to avoid any major embarrassment.  It's actually been over 5 weeks since the last newsletter  -- way too long.  So this newsletter is packed to the gills with new interesting posts and website discoveries.  So without further ado let's get to it. --mouser

2. Your Participation Requested

We welcome everyone's participation on the forum, no matter what your level of computer knowledge or how long you've been a DC member. If you're still waiting to make your first post, see the links below for some good places to jump in.

3. Fun, Games and Amusements on the Web

If you've read the newsletter up to this point, take a break and check out some of the lighter fare from the forum - humour, videos, and games..

4. Website Discoveries

What's new on the world wide web? What fun new sites have forum members discovered?  Let's find out..

5. General Software Discussion

Almost half the posts on the forum fall into the category of general software discussions, questions, recommendations, etc. This is one of the most active sections of the DC forum and a great resource if you're trying to solve a software or hardware related problem. We get so much traffic on this board that we've split the recent content into to sections in the newsletter - general software and specific software discussions.

6. Specific Software Discussion

This section of the newsletter draws attention to some of the standout discussions about specific programs that have been started since the last newsletter.

7. Coding Snacks and Other DC Member Software

The Coding Snacks Section is where people can request small utilities to be coded while they wait.  Since the last newsletter we've had a *TON* of new requests that have been filled -- several forum members are on fire lately!  And there have been some really cool new tools developed.

8. Mouser's Applications

I hope you'll allow me to include in the newsletter some threads about my software.  There have been some really cool postings by DC forum members about new plugins and alias packs.  And if you are a plugin author please don't miss the new wiki that we set up which will hopefully make it easier to discover plugins.  Plus I got some help from a forum member who collected all of the known plugins and alias packs and we put them up as one big zip file for those who really want to jump right into FARR with both feet.

9. Developer's Corner

If you're not a developer, don't let the title of this section scare you away - there is likely something of interest to you here! It's more than just a forum for the discussion of software development, it's also where we discuss web design, entrepreneurial struggles, and general productivity issues.  It's great to see that the section has been pretty active over the last month -- keep it up people!

10. Giveaways and Discounts in October

This week we have a fun giveaway and discount, on a duplicate file manager tool that we got an early preview of a while ago when the author stopped by DonationCoder to tell us about it.

11. News You Can Use

DC Member Ehtyar produces wonderful weekly summaries of important tech/computer/security news articles that he comes across on the web.  A big hit on the forum.  We're still wondering how he keeps up the pace and when will he collapse from exhaustion?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 10:26 PM by mouser »

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Outstanding newsletter, Mouser.  Have never clicked on so many links or participated as often in discussion topics before.  May even warrant a second read.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

sunlitlaz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Solarum
    • Donate to Member
Great newsletter, I got lots of info from all of the links.  Thanks for the hard work!  :Thmbsup:
---
After the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is no longer our friend!

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
Great articles

Thanks for posting "CircleDock: A New Unofficial Updated Version"  :Thmbsup: :-* :D

paarkhi

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
:up:  :Thmbsup: Excellent!!! Marvelous!!! Outstanding  (This is already said in the above post) Sorry I don't have more words, Only read the heading and matter on this page (Still not gone to the links, due to lack of time) but could not stop appreciating the work...

@Mouser How do you find time to do all this work from you tight schedule?
I think I know.....  :Thmbsup: :up:

Edit: Read almost whole of Newsletter, Quite Informative
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 06:29 AM by paarkhi »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
On a side note, anyone who hasn't yet seen the movie "Slacker" -- it's one of my favorites.

Apparently you can watch it on youtube if you are willing register at youtube and put up with some google ads throughout (annoying):
http://www.youtube.c.../watch?v=jB4xlYKAVCQ

I have to say though that it doesn't translate very well to the small screen.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 11:12 PM by mouser »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
...the movie "Slacker" -- it's one of my favorites.
- and I thought I was weird!
 :down: