ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

-Recklessly- remove hardware (from USB)

<< < (3/4) > >>

Innuendo:
If I recall correctly, the latest versions of Windows don't turn on a write cache for USB devices so they should be safe to just "yank out" unlike back in the Win98 days when doing so would surely corrupt your data.

I'm reading/writing from USB flash drives all day long & I'll confess that I'm a yank and run kind of person and never mess with "safely remove". I've been practicing this 'bad behavior' for a couple years now and data has never gotten corrupted.

But don't use my bad behavior as an excuse for you to act badly as well. :)

Ehtyar:
Even with "optimize for quick removal", I'd still use "safely remove" to be 100% on the safe side. That will ensure all data is flushed and the filesystem is clean, and will notify you if there's programs still trying to access the device.
-f0dder (September 27, 2009, 11:57 AM)
--- End quote ---
Amen. However, it is extremely frustrating when Windows refuses to eject a device despite there being no open handles to it. I find that in this case, there are no adverse effects to simply yanking the device.

Ehtyar.

f0dder:
Even with "optimize for quick removal", I'd still use "safely remove" to be 100% on the safe side. That will ensure all data is flushed and the filesystem is clean, and will notify you if there's programs still trying to access the device.
--- End quote ---
Amen. However, it is extremely frustrating when Windows refuses to eject a device despite there being no open handles to it. I find that in this case, there are no adverse effects to simply yanking the device.-Ehtyar (September 27, 2009, 06:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
I haven't experienced that?

However, I find that tortoisesvn's cache service often has a lock on an usb drive - killing the process fixes the problem :)

lanux128:
if clicking/locating the 'safely remove' icon on the systray is tedious for you, then you can create a shortcut on the desktop with the following parameter.

--- ---%windir%\System32\RUNDLL32.EXE shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL hotplug.dll
executing this shortcut will show the 'safely remove' dialog. plus you can also check the "Display device components" option which will display more info about the device, useful if you have more than one thumb drive plugged in at a time.

4wd:
--- End quote ---
Amen. However, it is extremely frustrating when Windows refuses to eject a device despite there being no open handles to it. I find that in this case, there are no adverse effects to simply yanking the device.-Ehtyar (September 27, 2009, 06:24 PM)
--- End quote ---
I haven't experienced that?

However, I find that tortoisesvn's cache service often has a lock on an usb drive - killing the process fixes the problem :)
-f0dder (September 27, 2009, 06:38 PM)
--- End quote ---

I used to get it a fair bit which I attributed to the "Shell Media Handler" in XP.  According to nlite info it can be responsible for keeping a lock on media files, (it's used for popup media file info and thumbnails of video files, IIRC).

However, ever since I started removing it and all the WMP components about the only thing that now holds a lock is Everything, (I should probably go through it's prefs and specify exactly which drives to only index....but it's so much easier to just exit it :) ).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version