topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Recommend a text scraper for Vista?  (Read 5263 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Recommend a text scraper for Vista?
« on: September 26, 2009, 03:45 PM »
Kleptomania doesn't seem to work for me on Vista, treating everything as a graphic, despite reporting over 600 fonts in its database.  Please,

• Can anyone confirm this?
  • Recommend anything that does work?

I've tried both Hypersnap and Nir Sofer's sysexp; both seem to work some of the time but not quite all (unless I misunderstood something).

Thanks...

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Recommend a text scraper for Vista?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 03:56 PM »
I don't have Vista but how about Snagit, which has a trial version here?

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2009, 10:59 AM »
I don't have Vista but how about Snagit, which has a trial version here?

I have a license for the free but older 7.something version of Snagit, picked up in their fairly recent offer (I think from following a DC notice).  But Snagit say that particular version won't work on Vista - some people say it will,  but it didn't seem to for me - so I took that line no further.  In fact, the free license qualifies you for a reduced rate on the latest full version as being an existing user, so maybe I'll look into that.  At present though I'm trying to reign in expenditure...  :(

I should also have mentioned JOCR as well, but that will only work if you have M$ Office installed.  My laptop came with it, but I haven't licensed it, so don't know if JOCR will work.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2009, 12:02 PM »
I suppose you could always take a .tif screenshot and feed that to SI7.
Not quite the ideal solution, though.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2009, 12:54 PM »
Screen OCR

Screen OCR saves everything that you can see on the screen - and does it with astonishing accuracy. Whether it will be image, scanned text, PDF or HTML - Screen OCR will recognize the letters and saves it.

$30
http://www.screenocr.com/
http://www.screenocr...m/screen-capture.htm

features:

Recognizes text in any type of document (HTML, Word, Notepad, PDF, BMP or JPG image) or in any part of the screen and saves it to clipboard.

Grabs texts that cannot be saved or printed

Recognizes texts in any language that cannot be saved or printed

Works with all American and European character sets, including the Central-European and Cyrillic

Captures "hidden" text ignoring blocking scripts on Internet pages

Reads selected text in documents, emails or Internet pages.

Properly works with character sizes 6 to 72 point

Selects the text with rectangular selection tool, window selection, scrolling window selection or graphic selection

Fully integrates with word processing tools

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 04:42 PM »
and now also TextCapture / GetWord, "text capture in anywhere" library, for coders: https://www.donation....msg179254#msg179254

Key Features

1.   Support all the popular Windows platforms with almost all the different main languages, such as English, Simplified & Traditional Chinese, Russian, French, Japanese, German, Spanish, Korean, Turkish, Arabic, Swedish, Norwegian, Italian, Latin, Portuguese, Polish, Indian, Thailand, Vietnamese, etc.

2.   Support Unicode.

3.   Support sentence capturing. It can capture not only the words at a given point, but also the words before and after the given point.

4.   Support rectangle capturing. It can capture all the text in a given rectangle on the screen, so that you can capture text from one or multiple windows.

5.   Support PDF text capturing for Adobe Acrobat/Acrobat Reader.

6.   Support selected (highlighted) text capturing. You can select the text you want to capture, then GetWord will pull out everything you just selected.

7.   Support Command Prompt text capturing.

8.   Support all the standard Windows Controls, such as Dialog, Toolbar, Menu, EditBox, ComboBox, ListBox, TreeCtrl, etc.

9.   Support various popular software, such as Microsoft Office, Outlook, etc.

10.  Support all the popular Internet browsers, such as IE, FireFox, Mozilla, Netscape, etc.

11. Support word and sentence capturing by mouse cursor and hotkeys.

12. Convenient integration into your software product. Only no more than 20 lines of code are needed to integrate this library.
http://www.textcaptu...e.com/en/getword.htm
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 04:49 PM by Curt »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 04:00 PM »
I suppose you could always take a .tif screenshot and feed that to SI7.
Not quite the ideal solution, though.

I thought of taking a screenshot and pasting it into EverNote 2.2.  Trouble is, EverNote will index text in a screenshot, but doesn't seem to make it accessible, even though it does that for handwritten "ink notes."

@Curt:
Thanks - I must have thought ScreenOCR was some sort of clone of Kleptomania (they use the same icon) but if it can do more, will be worth a look.  I e-mailed StructuRise, authors of Kleptomania, but so far don't seem to have had a reply.