ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Rant: Firefox 3.5.x

<< < (5/6) > >>

MilesAhead:
Minefield.... how sarcastically appropriate... :)
-SectorSeven (September 26, 2009, 11:27 AM)
--- End quote ---

I take it as truth in advertising.  No warranty. :)

edit: other than that all I can say is Opera 10 seems pretty solid.  Still doesn't have things that have become habitual for me like AutoCopy but at least the password and form entry stuff works well.  I don't get into mouse gestures or that hot page whatever it is, so I can't speak to those.

Innuendo:
What's the advantage of reinstalling my apps yet another time?-MilesAhead (September 26, 2009, 12:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Miles, I was thinking more of an upgrade install. Microsoft's upgrade install procedure with Windows 7 is scary good. I did a few upgrade installs during the beta & couldn't tell the difference than from a clean install. It was that efficient.

I, of course, did a clean install once I got my mitts on the RTM. Apple better enjoy getting their shots in now. Once October 22nd comes a lot of the smack they've been talking will be moot points.

MilesAhead:
Afa laying on top of a running OS I think it worked for me twice. Putting Windows 3.1 on the same partition as Dos 5.2, and maybe putting Win98 2nd ed. onto a Win95 partition.  Other than that, it's way too flaky. It's more hassle to fix it than to reinstall.  I tried W7 64 bit upgrade on my Vista64 just for grins.  The start menu was hosed and stuff was really flaky.  I laid my Vista64 image back on.  Besides, other than the Taskbar I didn't notice a difference.  Vista64 with SP1 is pretty smooth.

As close as I can get is the Custom install.  Portable apps that are just in a folder I only have to drag a shortcut to use.  But anything with registry is stuck in Windows.old.

Besides, Windows Seven 7077 is running great.  Sandboxie 3.8 works beautifully.  Don't want to fix what ain't broken.  When the time runs out then either I'll put XP, or my old Vista 32 bit image back on, buy some 7 or, if I'm really lucky, pull the HD and Network card out and junk it for a new PC with 7 SP1 already on.  ;)

Carol Haynes:
Strange - I wanted to upgrade from XP to Win 7 Pro. There is no direct route so:

I upgraded from Win XP to Vista HP (for which I have a license) then to Windows 7 HP (without a license key as I don't have one) and then upgraded to Windows 7 Pro and then activated and licensed (with my MS Action Pack license).

No problems encountered at all. Incredibly smooth every time and the new system works fine.

I do find though you need a good running base system to upgrade from - remove any dodgy drivers and software before attempting an upgrade.

MilesAhead:
Seems we've strayed OT.  I may be tempted to try 3.7pre again soon. I tried one of the first builds and it was wicked flaky.  If I run into a build that's solid on more than one OS I'll post the link.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version