ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Rant: Firefox 3.5.x

(1/6) > >>

SectorSeven:
Not really a company criticism, but I need to blow some steam off...

What is the deal with Firefox 3.5.x?

I have been trying to run with each and every Firefox release of the 3.5.x line, and each one has its own severe issues that are obvious immediately after using it for several hours.

Slowness, responsiveness and halts are the most common problems for me.

I have read that it has something to do with Flash. I hate Adobe as much as the next guy - but I don't really care - why release one version after another with what seems to be an unsatisfactory level of testing?

Luckily enough, it is quite easy to roll back to the 3.0.x line - which may be a little less friendly in terms of memory footprint, but at least I can rely on it not halting in the middle of me writing a long email.

I am on updated XP and Firefox is running with only a handful of common extensions.

If I have to guess, I would say that there was a serious change in dev team personnel over there and the new guys are still trying to gain control of everything...

I am waiting for 3.6

Innuendo:
I have been trying to run with each and every Firefox release of the 3.5.x line, and each one has its own severe issues that are obvious immediately after using it for several hours.

Slowness, responsiveness and halts are the most common problems for me.-SectorSeven (September 25, 2009, 08:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm going to now utter the most useless words that can present themselves in a thread concerning computer problems.

Are you ready?

It doesn't happen on my machine.

I'm running Firefox v3.53 with a profile that hasn't been considered new since the early v3.0x days and I've run every release version and several beta versions of Firefox with this very same profile. I'm running 48 extensions with 19 GreaseMonkey scripts.

Granted everything I have shoehorned into Firefox I suppose I should be experiencing problems, but I'm not. I do, however, use a liberal selection of things like Ad Muncher, NoScript, etc. to ensure that I am in charge of the web content that comes across my screen such as evil ads that do more than just advertise, cross-site scripting and all that other slimy crap web surfers have to deal with these days.

In short, I think Firefox v3.5x is the best version yet & I can't wait for it to get better.

SectorSeven:
I can't wait for it to get better.
-Innuendo (September 25, 2009, 11:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
I envy you, only I can't wait for it to get good again... :)

wraith808:
Just to balance it back in S7's favor... I'm having the same problems.  On multiple machines.  And on each I delayed upgrading as long as I could... then once I updated, I had the problem.  I haven't had the time to look into it, but yes, it's very annoying.  And it's not Flash... it happens on non-flash pages.

In short, I think there is a problem, and I think there's something behind it that doesn't happen all the time, but is frequent enough to warrant investigation.

I can't wait for it to get better.
-Innuendo (September 25, 2009, 11:11 AM)
--- End quote ---
I envy you, only I can't wait for it to get good again... :)
-SectorSeven (September 25, 2009, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Here, here...

Innuendo:
Let me temper my praise with the tidbit of information that I am running Windows 7. There may very well be something at an OS level that is helping me and hindering you if you are running a different OS.

Just a wild-@$$ed guess, though. Shooting in the dark, if you will....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version