ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Why doesn't Explorer have an interface for creating hard links?

<< < (2/2)

tranglos:
I thought the explanation was sufficient, in how it shows sometimes a useful feature will be dropped because it may do more harm than good, or be too confusing. (Or at least, how MS reaches decisions on such features.)

I had not considered the issue with backup software before, and it looks like it would be a problem. I suppose the alternate file streams is another example of the same.

But most of all I wanted to plug Raymond Chen's blog. It's a window into how and why things are done a certain way at Microsoft. (And sometimes you can find out how to use a certain API properly).

tomos:

FWIW I've had hard links not work properly on two different computers in spite of many attempts (there's a few older threads here about hard links here at dc - for anyone who's interested in the possibilities do a search)

lanux128:
i find it interesting the approach taken by Microsoft's team in "maintaining the balance" between exposing the power-user features and the ones that average users will be using everyday. but at least, that's where the "third party" tools and utilities come in to fill the gap.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version