topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 8:07 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: .flv thumbnails  (Read 9444 times)

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
.flv thumbnails
« on: September 24, 2009, 10:53 PM »
Greetings, folks. I have some .flv video files which do not display thumbnails in WinXP or in other software like XnView or FastStone Image Viewer. Does anybody know how to get .flv to render thumbnails? Or is it ill-advised to do this? As always, thanks for your assistance.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: .flv thumbnails
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 11:19 AM »
A quick Google search says all you need are a couple harmless reg entries to enable FLV thumbnails. I found a pretty good discussion along with instructions here:

http://www.neowin.ne...php?showtopic=631511

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 12:21 PM »
Thanks, I should have stated that I searched and already tried those ShellEx entries without any luck--still no .flv thumbnails. It's a simple import of a .reg file, so I don't know what the heck I did wrong or why it didn't work. In any event, the .flv files play okay so maybe I'll just try to ignore the plain icon.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 01:05 PM »
A more sweeping, and drastic 'fix' to your problem is to install the K-Lite Codec Pack. One of its configuration options, if I recall correctly, is "Allow Explorer to show more media thumbnails" or something similar.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 12:50 PM »
Just a brief FYI on my WinXP .flv thumbnails issue:

(1) I discovered the latest version of XnView (1.96.5) accurately renders .flv thumbnails (but not .mp4) on my machine. So the following info isn't really necessary unless you are determined to view .flv thumbnails in Windows Explorer.

(2) The registry ShellEX entry for .flv (referenced by Innuendo) plus installing and registering FLVSplitter allowed me to generate .flv thumbnails in WinXP. FLVSplitter is a component of the K-Lite Codec Pack, but I didn't choose to install the whole K-Lite package because all my video files play just fine.

Good Day, sajman99

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 08:48 PM »
(2) The registry ShellEX entry for .flv (referenced by Innuendo) plus installing and registering FLVSplitter allowed me to generate .flv thumbnails in WinXP. FLVSplitter is a component of the K-Lite Codec Pack, but I didn't choose to install the whole K-Lite package because all my video files play just fine.

I'm glad we were able to get your problem solved!  :Thmbsup:

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 01:36 PM »
Innuendo, thanks again for the helping hand. To clarify my prior comment on FLVSplitter, all I had to do was extract and register the .ax file. Although FLVSplitter is in the K-Lite Codec Pack, I got it from here:

http://www.videohelp...m/tools/FLV_Splitter

Good Day, sajman99