topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 3:56 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Firefox - new window - can you remember the google search you opened with  (Read 11954 times)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,

Yes, I know I could ask in FF land, however let's try here first. A bit more out-of-the-box.

I open a new window in Google (usually I have the setting as a background opening) and 30 minute later I go to the window to search for ... what was in the google search.  However I forgot which search it was ! hmmm .  Any extensions or tricks to overcome this ?  Keep that search somewhere .. e.g. in the Find: bar when the window returns or a special little view area.

Another big FF need, the wonderful little "Find" box on the bottom bar.  I want two or three of them, so I can toggle searches without retyping and remembering as I go over pages.  Once I asked in FF land and got mostly blank stares, yet I think this would be 10x more effective that the fancy stuff they do in search land.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

sri

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Sridhar Katakam
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Not sure what you are asking here w.r.t the first question.

You might want to try http://www.google.com/history/

It records the searches you did in Google so you can go back and see what searched for in the day, in the past few days etc.

For your 2nd question, try http://www.oxymoroni.../web/firefox/Thinger
<a href="https://sridharkatakam.com">My blog</a>

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I'm not sure what you're saying about the google searches either. Are you saying that when you're reading a page when you see something you'd like to explore further you highlight it, right click on it, and choose "Search Google for _____".
Screenshot - 9_24_2009 , 10_10_25 AM.png
Since the page opens in the background you don't check it for a while. Then once you do start reading it you forget what the search was for?

I agree with your find bar idea, multiple find boxes would be very helpful.* Or at least an option to have one "find" query per tab (instead of one per window like it is now). I'd also like some more power in my searches finds (wildcards, "or" option, number ranges, etc.). The "Match case" option is nice and all, but I could use a few more options.

* I didn't read much of the Thinger page, does it have that option?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2009, 11:19 AM by Hirudin »

sword

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Question:
Steven
Topic: Firefox - new window - can you remember the google search you opened with
« on: Today [Thu Sep 24 2009] at 08:49:35 AM »
However I forgot which search it was ! hmmm .  Any extensions or tricks to overcome this ? 
Keep that search somewhere .. e.g. in the Find: bar when the window returns or a special
little view area... toggle searches without retyping and remembering as I go over pages.

Short reply:
This works for me. 1) Use Google Advanced Search, 2) highlight and save [copy "Ctrl-C"]
the box above the 'fill-in' boxes. Example: Firefox "capture searches" save OR store OR list ,
3) save these in any convenient place, 4) past them back into Google.

Detailed reply:
 1) Use Google Advanced Search, 2) highlight and save [copy "Ctrl-C"]
the box above the 'fill-in' boxes. Example: Firefox "capture searches" save OR store OR list ,
[ I use Advanced Clipboard Manager to save clips to numbered (1 to 19) buttons that are
always visible and the contents can be easily viewed.], 3) save these in any convenient place.
[ If I need more than 19 saved clips per session, I save them to a 'form' I made, that I keep on
the desktop, by saved number.], 4) to reuse the search, put the pointer in the Google box for,
"All the words" and paste the selected search there. ACM does this automatically when you
click on the box number, 5) click on "Advanced search".

Re. "...Keep that search somewhere...?:
I save good/old searches to file by date. I save current/useful searches with the Firefox add-on,
"QuoteURLtext" but CAUTION, it only works on Firefox v1.5 to v3. Copy needed ones to ACM
for easiest use.

MrCrispy

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Get the TabHistory addon. I usually do a search and then open the result in a new tab. With this addon each new tab/window preserves the history so you can go back and see what you did.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi Folks,

Thinger may well take care of the main concern, except that it is no longer in any active development.  I will try it out.  Apparently it has a dedicated following, much like Powermarks while we waited for Linkman.

TabHistory is a good idea, but will not cut it.  I do not want new tabs to have a full history, since then there will be a lot of redundant back-pedaling ..

I simply want to know, without a lot of drop-down drag-out dohickey stuff .. what was my google search that got me here ? That way I can search for those words within that text.  In one window I may have 20 tabs open, and they may have come from five different searches, and I may have closed the actual google search that led me here, so now the tab is a bit of an orphan, and if I only knew how I got here ...

The best solution would be the page to open with a nice highlight somewhere.

"the page opened from Google search for 'donationcoder firefox extension multiple searches' "

Shalom,
Steven

If I have to resort to Google history, or a clipboard manager, I can try that .. as a workaround on occasion, but usually it is not so important that I want to look back over 20 searches, since afaik Google history will not tell me what I opened from each search.  None of those solutions will be very quick, unless there was some sort of simple relationship maintained between the search and the page.

Shalom,
Steven
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 03:23 AM by Steven Avery »

briandr67

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • A Software Junky
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Try using Mouser's gem, Clipboard Help & Spell and copy your search reference to clipboard. Saves almost unlimited amounts of clips that couldn't be easier to find. Left click thre program icon (orange clipboard in sys tray) and goto Quick and Recent Clips, or if it's been awhile, goto All Clips, then Clipboard and finally to New. CH&S is the original reason for becoming a DC Supporting Member.         Brian

:Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
HighlightAll may help. Or not.

Whatever is highlighted stays highlighted till you actually x out the tab. It stays highlighted if you open a web page on top of that tab. clicking back, you will see the words are still highlighted, though every occurrence is highlighted. Which is it's main function.

https://addons.mozil...S/firefox/addon/4240

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Have you given any thought to the official google toolbar?

Not only does the text of your last search stay in the box, but you can set it to highlight the search terms within pages...and it keeps a history of your searches.

(does a whole lot more but I'll leave all those goodies for you to discover on your own.)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I googled "history of previous searches" and one of the items it brought up was this useful article: How to Find Your Previous Google Search Queries [Quicktip]

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I don't know how helpful Findbar Tweak is.  But it looks interesting.  I'm going to try it.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not sure if I like it.  But one thing different, if you search and highlight all, you can go to a different tab.  Do different searches.  Close the find bar.  When you coma back to the tab the highlights are still there and you can F3 down them.  By default it targets in like when you have your mouse set to target the pointer when you release the control key.  That was disconcerting.  But it's easily disabled.  It has some nice features.  Only time will tell if it has funky side-effects.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Miles, I've been using Findbar Tweak for a few months now & while it took a little getting used to I have come to rely on it & I love having all the instances of the term I'm searching for 'marked' in the vertical scroll bar area of the window.

There have been reports of some funky side-effects, but I must not do anything too weird or strenuous with my searches as I  haven't noticed any side-effects at all with my usage.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Miles, I've been using Findbar Tweak for a few months now & while it took a little getting used to I have come to rely on it & I love having all the instances of the term I'm searching for 'marked' in the vertical scroll bar area of the window.

There have been reports of some funky side-effects, but I must not do anything too weird or strenuous with my searches as I  haven't noticed any side-effects at all with my usage.

I think chrome does that by default.  The hit hash marks. So far I like it.  One thing I hated in the vanilla find bar was lack on hit indicator.  The word would not be in Red so I knew I had a hit.. but still had to hunt for it or keep clicking up/down until I could see it.  This is much nicer.