topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 23, 2024, 7:50 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Feature Request: multilanguage keystroke reinterpretation  (Read 4315 times)

shmidman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Feature Request: multilanguage keystroke reinterpretation
« on: September 24, 2009, 02:40 AM »
The main point of FARR is to launch things ultra-fast, without pausing for mouse clicks or other niceties. However, one item which the user still must do first is to switch the keyboard into the correct language.
For instance, on my computer I have both Hebrew and English keyboards installed. If my active keyboard happens to be Hebrew when I launch FARR, and I try to type in "notepad", what I will get instead is a jumble of hebrew letters ("מםאקפשג").
Google has actually implemented a feature which takes care of this in its search engine: when a bunch of nonsensical foreign language characters are entered, google's search suggest feature automatically calculates what the search term would have been if the same keystrokes had been pressed with the English keyboard active, and it presents search suggest terms based upon that calculation.
I'd like to see FARR do something similar. The basic implementation would go as follows:
- If the characters entered into FARR are not english characters, FARR should calculate the English characters which correspond to those foreign-language keystrokes. The results box should of course first show items which match the foreign characters, but after that it should also display items which match the corresponding English keystorkes.
- As a second stage, you might want to make this configurable to work in the other direction as well: that is, a user might want English keystrokes to also display results for certain foreign-language equivalents. FARR would do this for any of the currently installed keyboards.

Thank you,
Avi Shmidman

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature Request: multilanguage keystroke reinterpretation
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 03:56 PM »
Here, have a look at this thread. Maybe will it solve your problem as it solved mine... in the mean time...

https://www.donation...index.php?topic=9805

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Feature Request: multilanguage keystroke reinterpretation
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 04:03 PM »
This reminds me a lot of the plugin that ewemoa (where is he i miss him) wrote for FARR, called Bakko:
https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=16877

The main point of this plugin is to provide a customizable means for transforming the main FARR window's text field content.  At the moment, "customizable" means that the user can write a bit of JavaScript to operate on the text field content.