ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Question About MS Word Lists & Tables

<< < (3/3)

J-Mac:
OK, you mean if I copy a table. But I'm talking about copying lists only.

BTW, copy/paste table from the web works about half the time, in my experience.

Thank you.

Jim

J-Mac:
Aha! Table>Autoformat did the trick, but...  only after I inserted a hard break after each line.
-J-Mac (September 23, 2009, 10:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Using Find-Replace should be an easy way to change those pesky end of lines: (see attachment in previous post)
-Perry Mowbray (September 23, 2009, 11:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll try that. Thanks!

Jim

AndyM:
One easy way to force a list into a table in Word is to first paste it into Excel, and then copy it from there and paste it into Word.  Particularly if it's only a one-column list, Word will automatically assume anything coming from Excel should be a table.  And Excel will almost always give each line in the list a row in the spreadsheet, which when pasted into Word will definitely result in a table.

Otherwise, table results in Word are sometimes hard to predict.  Sometimes creating the table first and then pasting the list into the first cell of the table works, sometimes it just puts everything in that one cell.

the text is pasted normally onto the page.
--- End quote ---

Turn on Show Formatting and tell us what is at the end of each line (paragraph mark, tab, soft-return, etc.) of your pasted list.  You might not have to do a Search& Replace to get your list into a table.

AndyM:
One easy way to force a list into a table in Word is to first paste it into Excel, and then copy it from there and paste it into Word.  Particularly if it's only a one-column list, Word will automatically assume anything coming from Excel should be a table.  And Excel will almost always give each line in the list a row in the spreadsheet, which when pasted into Word will definitely result in a table.

Results are less often satisfactory with multi-columned lists, but at times I've found it easier to first use Excel's importing tools to get the columns right than to do it immediately in Word.  Also some formatting tasks are easier in Excel than in Word.

Otherwise, table results in Word are sometimes hard to predict.  Sometimes creating the table first and then pasting the list into the first cell of the table works, sometimes it just puts everything in that one cell, or puts a whole new table in the first cell (not necessarily a bad thing, you can cut and paste it from there).

the text is pasted normally onto the page.
--- End quote ---

Turn on Show Formatting and tell us what is at the end of each line (paragraph mark, tab, soft-return, etc.) of your pasted list.  You might not have to do a Search& Replace to get your list into a table.  If the list is more than one column, are there tabs between the fields in each line/row?  From the way you described your source lists, I'm assuming they aren't fixed length fields.

cranioscopical:
Aha! Table>Autoformat did the trick, but...  only after I inserted a hard break after each line.
-J-Mac (September 23, 2009, 10:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Using Find-Replace should be an easy way to change those pesky end of lines: (see attachment in previous post)
-Perry Mowbray (September 23, 2009, 11:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll try that. Thanks!

Jim
-J-Mac (September 24, 2009, 01:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
Not to encourage using a steam hammer to crack a walnut, but a tiny Word macro to replace breaks and then table/autoformat might alleviate the annoyance level. I don't use Word but if it has some kind of bookmark function to locate cursor position you should be able to coax it to paste and then make the selection for you as well. (Table/autoformat separates text with hard breaks into cells e.g. text editor, btw, so it depends on the source from which you copy.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version