ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Question About MS Word Lists & Tables

<< < (2/3) > >>

J-Mac:
Aha! Table>Autoformat did the trick, but...  only after I inserted a hard break after each line. Leaving the text as pasted caused it all to go into one cell, which was the problem all along. So I guess I'll have to manually add a lot of hard returns whenever I want to do this, but it's still a heck of a lot easier than moving each line into a table cell one by one!

Searching online wasn't coming up with much useful; then again Google has been so subverted by SEO that it is difficult to find relevant results until you blow past the first couple hundred it seems. Sad really. And my Word Help file crashed and wouldn't start again. (Never, ever had a Help file crash before?!?!)

Thanks all.

Jim

BTW, Andy - Exactly what you would expect: the text is pasted normally onto the page. It was getting it into a table with each line in a separate cell that was stumping me.  Yet I am guessing that you have more in mind. What is your idea? All advice is appreciated!

Perry Mowbray:
I think what Andy would be getting at is that one of the formats on the Clipboard may have been a Table (depending on what you were copying from).

J-Mac:
I think what Andy would be getting at is that one of the formats on the Clipboard may have been a Table (depending on what you were copying from).
-Perry Mowbray (September 23, 2009, 11:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

OK, I still don't quite get it. If I highlight and copy, say, a list in a post here. How would my clipboard have a table format? I'm not saying that it doesn't; just that if it does, I sure never knew about it!

Thanks!

Jim

Perry Mowbray:
Aha! Table>Autoformat did the trick, but...  only after I inserted a hard break after each line.
-J-Mac (September 23, 2009, 10:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Using Find-Replace should be an easy way to change those pesky end of lines:

Perry Mowbray:
-Perry Mowbray (September 23, 2009, 11:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

OK, I still don't quite get it. If I highlight and copy, say, a list in a post here. How would my clipboard have a table format? I'm not saying that it doesn't; just that if it does, I sure never knew about it!
-J-Mac (September 23, 2009, 11:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

You're right, but if you go to a web page with a table on it, I'm pretty sure that when you paste it'll use the html version of the Clipboard. You can always use PasteSpecial to paste other formats (if available).

OK: I've just tried it over on a table at W3Schools and you have to ensure that you select the full table. Copying a bit of the text before and after ensures this.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version