topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: The Pricelessware Scam (Alt.Comp.Freeware)  (Read 25179 times)

Bloss

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The Pricelessware Scam (Alt.Comp.Freeware)
« on: September 23, 2009, 12:52 PM »
 :down:  >:(

Many of you are aware of the Usenet group ACF. Many of you are not aware of the ongoing scam operated primarily by Ron May, Craig (who refuses to give his last name and their appointed Treasurer "REM". Yes, that's right, a Treasurer.

Pricelessware members have refused to provide the list of authors approvals for the distribution of their freeware. The posting Member of ACF "Q" who was responsible for this has disappeared once confronted with the truth. The truth is that there are "donations" being accepted (fees) when CDs are distributed. These CDs contain illegal software, intellectual property and licensing violations. In short, the entire operation of Pricelessware is illegal, all or in great part, and is a scam.

The original leader, John Fitzsimons, was found to be a convicted fraud and a Nazi-styled torturer of elderly woman. Fitzsimons was widely supported until this revelation (thanks to John Stubbings, former ACFer who was runoff byt threats from the Pricelessware group).

ACF has been a frequent and vocal critique of DC throwing around accusations of license violations and phony member websites. I find none of these but what I do find is a very tarred pot calling a shiny kettle blackened.

Beware; there is an ongoing Federal investigation into the criminal activities of the Pricelessware goons which will include co-conspirators and those who by choice or mistake associate themselves with their money-grabbing, copyright violating schemes.

Jeffrey Bloss

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: The Pricelessware Scam (Alt.Comp.Freeware)
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 02:04 PM »
:down:  >:(

Many of you are aware of the Usenet group ACF. Many of you are not aware of the ongoing scam operated primarily by Ron May, Craig (who refuses to give his last name and their appointed Treasurer "REM". Yes, that's right, a Treasurer.

Pricelessware members have refused to provide the list of authors approvals for the distribution of their freeware. The posting Member of ACF "Q" who was responsible for this has disappeared once confronted with the truth. The truth is that there are "donations" being accepted (fees) when CDs are distributed. These CDs contain illegal software, intellectual property and licensing violations. In short, the entire operation of Pricelessware is illegal, all or in great part, and is a scam.

The original leader, John Fitzsimons, was found to be a convicted fraud and a Nazi-styled torturer of elderly woman. Fitzsimons was widely supported until this revelation (thanks to John Stubbings, former ACFer who was runoff byt threats from the Pricelessware group).

ACF has been a frequent and vocal critique of DC throwing around accusations of license violations and phony member websites. I find none of these but what I do find is a very tarred pot calling a shiny kettle blackened.

Beware; there is an ongoing Federal investigation into the criminal activities of the Pricelessware goons which will include co-conspirators and those who by choice or mistake associate themselves with their money-grabbing, copyright violating schemes.

Jeffrey Bloss

FYI
As a regular poster and long-time subscriber to ACF, I find Mr. Bloss's accusations and representations at best, inaccurate. He first started posting on ACF in mid-August and immediately developed a chip on his shoulder.

The posters he mentions are also responsible for Pricelesswarehome.org, a website started years ago by members of ACF for the purpose of featuring freeware. Annual nominations and votes are taken among the ACF posters to create an annual Pricelessware List, which is hosted on the website. REM is "Treasurer" and charged with paying hosting fees, etc. which originate as donations from the group. All software that is included in the annual CD/DVD created to disseminate these programs has been approved by their authors for distribution. I can personally attest to that. There is NO FEE charged for anyone who wants one of the volunteer burners to create one. Some burners ask for postage and/or CD replacement cost, but no more than that. The CD/DVD's are NOT FOR SALE.

Not many of the regular posters agree with Donationcoders' business model. They have discussed their feelings at length. I support DC and have for years (right, Mouser?), but have only expressed my opinion once or twice in ACF.

Additionally, people leave the group for their own reasons; usually they have other things that require their attention. Furthermore, to the best of my knowledge, there is no "ongoing Federal investigation" into any aspect of ACF. I find that claim ludicrous.

Finally, I encourage a visit to alt.comp.freeware if you feel so inclined.

hth

Ron Moore aka 2 penny Ron
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

Bloss

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 02:59 PM »

As a regular poster and long-time subscriber to ACF, I find Mr. Bloss's accusations and representations at best, inaccurate. He first started posting on ACF in mid-August and immediately developed a chip on his shoulder.

My disposition soured when I find that ACF was being abused by a handful of people who are running a scam. Regardless of your attempt to undermine my message, my statements are accurate to the nth degree.

REM is "Treasurer" and charged with paying hosting fees, etc. which originate as donations from the group.

He is also the keeper of records for a "non profit organization and after having been requested many, many times to post those records for ACF and IRS review, has refused to do so.

All software that is included in the annual CD/DVD created to disseminate these programs has been approved by their authors for distribution.

Then there should be no trouble in posting these approvals yet that also has been refused to be accomplished. Why the secrecy over so many important matters?

I can personally attest to that.

How?

There is NO FEE charged for anyone who wants one of the volunteer burners to create one. Some burners ask for postage and/or CD replacement cost, but no more than that. The CD/DVD's are NOT FOR SALE.

The people who distribute the CDs can and do charge whatever they wish and Pricelessware goons know this and allow it.

Furthermore, to the best of my knowledge, there is no "ongoing Federal investigation" into any aspect of ACF. I find that claim ludicrous.

I have clearly posted on ACF regarding this matter, if you missed it, go find it.

Finally, I encourage a visit to alt.comp.freeware if you feel so inclined.

hth

Ron Moore aka 2 penny Ron
I agree, go and seek the scam out.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 05:47 PM »
* f0dder sits back with some popcorns and a beer and enjoys the show
- carpe noctem

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 05:56 PM »
alt.comp.freeware confuses me for all sorts of reasons.  i don't really understand the details of some of these controversies.. i wish one of the reputable online tech magazines like Wired would do a real investigatory story on ACF and explain some of this stuff to the rest of us.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2009, 05:59 PM »
** 40hz sits down next to f0dder, passes him a beer, and says: "Is this a rerun?" **

Bloss

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2009, 07:14 PM »
alt.comp.freeware confuses me for all sorts of reasons.  i don't really understand the details of some of these controversies.. i wish one of the reputable online tech magazines like Wired would do a real investigatory story on ACF and explain some of this stuff to the rest of us.
I fully support the investigation by Wired or any such non-police organization into the affairs of ACF as you have proposed. I do so with the fullest conviction (pun intended) that every statement I have made to be found completely true.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2009, 10:44 PM »
Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Now may we wrap it up?  :)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2009, 10:46 PM by 40hz »

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2009, 12:18 PM »
** 40hz sits down next to f0dder, passes him a beer, and says: "Is this a rerun?" **
Yes, it's a rerun. See https://www.donation....msg142117#msg142117

ACF has to be the most dysfunctional group ever. Even the brawls on alt.atheism didn't have this much vitriol.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 12:51 PM »
CWuestefeld: I think alt.lang.asm might be worse, though - it was pretty much destroyed by one single person (sure, there's a lot of other people responsible for noise, but not at that level of vile bile).
- carpe noctem

CWuestefeld

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2009, 01:00 PM »
I think alt.lang.asm might be worse
Well, sure, that would be bad. Consider the name of the group; how can you consider Assembly to be a language? I mean, it's really just a collection of mnemonics for machine language. Without any lexical analysis or grammar, how can you call it a language?
 :trout:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2009, 01:58 PM »
* now 40hz sits back with his second beer and thinks: Here we go again... ;D

how can you call it a language?

FWIW I sometimes feel that way about American English. ;)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2009, 02:28 PM »
Well, sure, that would be bad. Consider the name of the group; how can you consider Assembly to be a language? I mean, it's really just a collection of mnemonics for machine language. Without any lexical analysis or grammar, how can you call it a language?
Oh, it does have a limited grammar (and a bit less limited when you add macro support) - but you might argue that it's about as primitive as some of the programmers that use it ;)
- carpe noctem

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2009, 03:04 PM »
FWIW I sometimes feel that way about American English.  ;)
-40hz
Oh, it does have a limited grammar (and a bit less limited when you add macro support) - but you might argue that it's about as primitive as some of the programmers that use it ;)
Fair enough. Now, how do you feel about Assembly?

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2009, 03:20 PM »

* Damn, I missed that show * Silverstrain vs Bearfoot-bottom vs audience

:o

Bloss

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2009, 05:42 PM »

ACF has to be the most dysfunctional group ever. Even the brawls on alt.atheism didn't have this much vitriol.
I wouldn't say the group is entirely dysfunctional, there is good advice given and archived everyday. Btw, thanks for the link, I know Ari Silversteinn personally and can say he is a passionate yet stunted a$$clown.

What the link and the group have in common is it is overrun with frauds, thieves, felons (like Bear Bottoms) scammers and Ari Silversteinn types.

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2009, 06:42 PM »
What the link and the group have in common is it is overrun with frauds, thieves, felons (like Bear Bottoms) scammers and Ari Silversteinn types

this pretty much sums it up, and (at least for me) the actual signal to noise ratio is now so low it's no longer worth the effort

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2009, 09:48 PM »
What the link and the group have in common is it is overrun with frauds, thieves, felons (like Bear Bottoms) scammers and Ari Silversteinn types.

Getting repetitious...

And the overall lack of civility doesn't fit in too well with how things get done here.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2009, 10:13 PM »
I wonder why every time there is major drama in ACF that someone from there escapes, comes here, and posts about it (usually in an attempt to start a flame war of some sort here).

Does ACF see us as their nemesis or something? Does anyone that disagrees with something there need to go find their "enemy" to dump the drama on, in some sort of effort to rally a team to back them up, before they go back to ACF to "battle"?

I don't get it. Why always here on this forum? Aren't there other software related forums on the internet?

Or is this all some big secret plot to push me into finally building that site I was joking about?

Target

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2009, 10:23 PM »
I wonder why every time there is major drama in ACF that someone from there escapes, comes here, and posts about it (usually in an attempt to start a flame war of some sort here).

Does ACF see us as their nemesis or something? Does anyone that disagrees with something there need to go find their "enemy" to dump the drama on, in some sort of effort to rally a team to back them up, before they go back to ACF to "battle"?

I don't get it. Why always here on this forum? Aren't there other software related forums on the internet?

I don't think it's just this forum, I actually suspect that the protagonists are just trying to extend their field of operations. 

ACF used to be quite good, there was no spam, everyone was (generally) pretty courteous, and the focus was on sharing information (like here).  Sadly those days appear to be long gone...

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2009, 10:25 PM »
Or is this all some big secret plot to push me into finally building that site I was joking about?

ROTFLMAO!!!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2009, 10:37 PM »

I don't think it's just this forum, I actually suspect that the protagonists are just trying to extend their field of operations. 

ACF used to be quite good, there was no spam, everyone was (generally) pretty courteous, and the focus was on sharing information (like here).  Sadly those days appear to be long gone...

All the more reason not to let said refugees attempt to make ACF's problems DC's problems.

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2009, 04:32 AM »

As both a DC member and someone who is intimately involved in ACF and the Pricelessware site, I have to agree the acrimony there is startling sometimes. I'm sorry such a genuinely civilized and courteous group as DC catches somes of the spill-over.

I don't know why Mr. Bloss decided to come here, spouting accusations and conspiracy theories. He has been in and out of ACF for about a month, demanding to know all about Pricelessware site operations. His demands are ignored because of his belligerence, as near as I can tell. He leaves me scratching my head in wonder.

Thanks again for your indulgence, and on behalf of the herd of cats in ACF, my apologies for any inconvenience. (f0dder, you still got any of those beers?)
Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.

OldElmerFudd

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • Bite-sized trouble
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2009, 04:36 AM »

No. ACF does not consider DC as *their* nemesis. Most of the regulars just disagree with DC's business model, and react negatively when told the site is "freeware". (I said it was a herd of cats.)

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2009, 06:18 AM »
(f0dder, you still got any of those beers?)
Nah, but it's friday - I'm stocking up after work :D

All the more reason not to let said refugees attempt to make ACF's problems DC's problems.
Well, we're not going to let that happen, now, are we? :)
- carpe noctem