ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The Pricelessware Scam (Alt.Comp.Freeware)

(1/9) > >>

Bloss:
 :down:  >:(

Many of you are aware of the Usenet group ACF. Many of you are not aware of the ongoing scam operated primarily by Ron May, Craig (who refuses to give his last name and their appointed Treasurer "REM". Yes, that's right, a Treasurer.

Pricelessware members have refused to provide the list of authors approvals for the distribution of their freeware. The posting Member of ACF "Q" who was responsible for this has disappeared once confronted with the truth. The truth is that there are "donations" being accepted (fees) when CDs are distributed. These CDs contain illegal software, intellectual property and licensing violations. In short, the entire operation of Pricelessware is illegal, all or in great part, and is a scam.

The original leader, John Fitzsimons, was found to be a convicted fraud and a Nazi-styled torturer of elderly woman. Fitzsimons was widely supported until this revelation (thanks to John Stubbings, former ACFer who was runoff byt threats from the Pricelessware group).

ACF has been a frequent and vocal critique of DC throwing around accusations of license violations and phony member websites. I find none of these but what I do find is a very tarred pot calling a shiny kettle blackened.

Beware; there is an ongoing Federal investigation into the criminal activities of the Pricelessware goons which will include co-conspirators and those who by choice or mistake associate themselves with their money-grabbing, copyright violating schemes.

Jeffrey Bloss

OldElmerFudd:
:down:  >:(

Many of you are aware of the Usenet group ACF. Many of you are not aware of the ongoing scam operated primarily by Ron May, Craig (who refuses to give his last name and their appointed Treasurer "REM". Yes, that's right, a Treasurer.

Pricelessware members have refused to provide the list of authors approvals for the distribution of their freeware. The posting Member of ACF "Q" who was responsible for this has disappeared once confronted with the truth. The truth is that there are "donations" being accepted (fees) when CDs are distributed. These CDs contain illegal software, intellectual property and licensing violations. In short, the entire operation of Pricelessware is illegal, all or in great part, and is a scam.

The original leader, John Fitzsimons, was found to be a convicted fraud and a Nazi-styled torturer of elderly woman. Fitzsimons was widely supported until this revelation (thanks to John Stubbings, former ACFer who was runoff byt threats from the Pricelessware group).

ACF has been a frequent and vocal critique of DC throwing around accusations of license violations and phony member websites. I find none of these but what I do find is a very tarred pot calling a shiny kettle blackened.

Beware; there is an ongoing Federal investigation into the criminal activities of the Pricelessware goons which will include co-conspirators and those who by choice or mistake associate themselves with their money-grabbing, copyright violating schemes.

Jeffrey Bloss
-Bloss (September 23, 2009, 12:52 PM)
--- End quote ---

FYI
As a regular poster and long-time subscriber to ACF, I find Mr. Bloss's accusations and representations at best, inaccurate. He first started posting on ACF in mid-August and immediately developed a chip on his shoulder.

The posters he mentions are also responsible for Pricelesswarehome.org, a website started years ago by members of ACF for the purpose of featuring freeware. Annual nominations and votes are taken among the ACF posters to create an annual Pricelessware List, which is hosted on the website. REM is "Treasurer" and charged with paying hosting fees, etc. which originate as donations from the group. All software that is included in the annual CD/DVD created to disseminate these programs has been approved by their authors for distribution. I can personally attest to that. There is NO FEE charged for anyone who wants one of the volunteer burners to create one. Some burners ask for postage and/or CD replacement cost, but no more than that. The CD/DVD's are NOT FOR SALE.

Not many of the regular posters agree with Donationcoders' business model. They have discussed their feelings at length. I support DC and have for years (right, Mouser?), but have only expressed my opinion once or twice in ACF.

Additionally, people leave the group for their own reasons; usually they have other things that require their attention. Furthermore, to the best of my knowledge, there is no "ongoing Federal investigation" into any aspect of ACF. I find that claim ludicrous.

Finally, I encourage a visit to alt.comp.freeware if you feel so inclined.

hth

Ron Moore aka 2 penny Ron

Bloss:

As a regular poster and long-time subscriber to ACF, I find Mr. Bloss's accusations and representations at best, inaccurate. He first started posting on ACF in mid-August and immediately developed a chip on his shoulder.-OldElmerFudd (September 23, 2009, 02:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

My disposition soured when I find that ACF was being abused by a handful of people who are running a scam. Regardless of your attempt to undermine my message, my statements are accurate to the nth degree.

REM is "Treasurer" and charged with paying hosting fees, etc. which originate as donations from the group.
--- End quote ---

He is also the keeper of records for a "non profit organization and after having been requested many, many times to post those records for ACF and IRS review, has refused to do so.

All software that is included in the annual CD/DVD created to disseminate these programs has been approved by their authors for distribution.
--- End quote ---

Then there should be no trouble in posting these approvals yet that also has been refused to be accomplished. Why the secrecy over so many important matters?

I can personally attest to that.
--- End quote ---

How?

There is NO FEE charged for anyone who wants one of the volunteer burners to create one. Some burners ask for postage and/or CD replacement cost, but no more than that. The CD/DVD's are NOT FOR SALE.
--- End quote ---

The people who distribute the CDs can and do charge whatever they wish and Pricelessware goons know this and allow it.

Furthermore, to the best of my knowledge, there is no "ongoing Federal investigation" into any aspect of ACF. I find that claim ludicrous.
--- End quote ---

I have clearly posted on ACF regarding this matter, if you missed it, go find it.

Finally, I encourage a visit to alt.comp.freeware if you feel so inclined.

hth

Ron Moore aka 2 penny Ron

--- End quote ---
I agree, go and seek the scam out.

f0dder:
* f0dder sits back with some popcorns and a beer and enjoys the show

mouser:
alt.comp.freeware confuses me for all sorts of reasons.  i don't really understand the details of some of these controversies.. i wish one of the reputable online tech magazines like Wired would do a real investigatory story on ACF and explain some of this stuff to the rest of us.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version