ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Idea: A content management system that lives up to the name

<< < (4/10) > >>

app103:
I'm onboard with the idea, in case you couldn't tell.
-superboyac (September 22, 2009, 10:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

I am too, because there are a few sites I'd love to build that it would be great for, and I'd be willing to write a few templates for myself and release them for others to use, if someone builds this.

mouser:
Tranglos your system reminds me of what i've always wanted for DC:
https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=3689.0

My interest has always been on a tool that would take a directory tree of flat files and make a website out of them.

app103:
Flat files would be awesome!

SKA:
My interest has always been on a tool that would take a directory tree of flat files and make a website out of them.
-mouser (September 23, 2009, 12:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

Mouser, would Treepad X Enterprise/Business Edition help you for this ?
http://www.treepad.com/webgenerator/

SKA

tranglos:
Are these examples of the type of site you are looking to build?
They are all using the same CMS.
-app103 (September 22, 2009, 08:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hi App! The links to the /wp-content folder are dead giveaways :) Yes, these sites are good examples, just like most shareware sites are. I know you can do that in WordPress. The fledgling site for my wife's company has just been done in WordPress, too. (There's still a bug preventing the menu on the right sidebar from working properly. Another phonecall to make, sigh!).

I wonder what the admin interface looks like at the sites you mention, though. How much fun (or how much of the opposite experience) they have updating the product info. WordPress is very flexible in what it is designed for, but when used to make a site like my wife's, suddenly there's a lot of things we can't touch or else they will break. There are four sections on the English version of the front page, one for each type of service (i.e., a product) - but their ordering is wrong. And there is no way to change the order other than (a) copy and paste between posts, or (b) go into the database directly and change the dates on the posts, which will affect the way they sort. That's a good example of something that works, but isn't the best tool for the job.

One other thing I've noticed is how many of the fanastically popular shareware sites (e.g. TocalCommander, but a great number of them really) are not CMS-based. Some are, and very professionally done (Ultraedit), but these are likely 100% custom jobs that must have cost a good deal. Most are plain html, with all the attendant inconveniences.

What about writing the CMS in Delphi, as ASP or ASP.net? Then you wouldn't have to run it on your desktop to generate static pages. All you'd need is a server running Windows.
-app103 (September 22, 2009, 08:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, that's an option too, but I don't know any more about asp than about php. I'd rather stick to apache/php/mysql, even though my provider (Dreamhost) does support asp in some way although they're a linux shop. it's all black magic to me either way :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version