topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Macrium Reflect Free version updated to 4.2  (Read 6873 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Macrium Reflect Free version updated to 4.2
« on: September 22, 2009, 03:22 PM »
I was happily using Paragon Drive Backup Personal 9.0 until I bought an HP PC with a Raid controller.  Paragon Rescue CD didn't support it.  I tried Macrium Reflect Free version.. no joy.  The Macrium Reflect 4.2 trial did work.  I bought that.

Now I see the Macrium Reflect Free Version
has been updated to 4.2.  I verified with the sysop on Macrium Forum that the Linux Rescue CD and the image backup file format used in the new free version is exactly the same as the one I bought. The paid version lets you download WinPE(either 32 bit or 64 bit, not both) and doubtless has some other features but if you are just looking for disaster recovery the free version may be a good choice. I put the free version on my Windows 7 32 bit PC.  I have Paragon on there but I like using the Macrium better because it saves your MBR with the backup image, where Paragon does not. That can make a big difference.

Anyway, just thought I'd pass it along since I found out yesterday about the Linux Rescue CD.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Macrium Reflect Free version updated to 4.2
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2009, 04:21 PM »
Thanks for the info, MilesAhead. I checked out Macrium Reflect Free Version about a year ago, and I recall being impressed with its reliability. Presently, I'm using Seagate DiscWizard (ie. rebranded Acronis) because I have a Seagate HD and was familiar with the Acronis product line.

On the subject of free imaging solutions, Western Digital now offers their Acronis True Image WD Edition Software for those with WD HDs. Indeed, we are fortunate to have all these choices. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2009, 11:00 PM »
I haven't tried Acronis yet but I did download that WD software since I bought a couple of Caviar Black drives. Unfortunately neither one of my machines has an ESata port.  Seems if I want to get more than 24 MB/sec out of 'em I have to open up the PC case and either put an ESata card in, or swap the OEM drive out. HP doesn't make it as easy as they used to. :(

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 12:44 AM »
just used Macrium to backup a netbook -- i think acronis has finally outlived it's usefulness for me, mainly because of how invasive and bloated it has become.  was quite pleased with Macrium.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 01:04 AM »
just used Macrium to backup a netbook -- i think acronis has finally outlived it's usefulness for me, mainly because of how invasive and bloated it has become.  was quite pleased with Macrium.

What I've noticed too, is the updates are regular now.  I have paid on one PC and the free on the other.  After I get an update on the paid version, seems like about a week goes by and the free is updated.  Only thing I'm waiting for is a feature to exclude large files from the image backup... like disc images.  They say it's on the todo list for the next version. I assume they are talking about 5.0.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 01:13 AM »
Only thing I'm waiting for is a feature to exclude large files from the image backup.

good to point out how needed this is; acronis has had it for a while and it makes a big difference.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 12:57 PM »
Apparently they have it for conventional file backup in the paid version.  Or at least file exclusion anyway.  But not in the image backup.  I used Paragon before and they had file exclusion in my version of the image backup.  The fly in the ointment was if you excluded a folder tree with a lot of files, the 30 minute backup would not start because it would spend I never found out how long telling you about each individual file it was going to exclude.  It was okay for excluding a few disc images or whatnot.

I tried to make that point on Macrium forum.  I'm hoping when they implement the folder tree exclusion they will dodge the "forever reporting" bullet.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 01:04 PM »
...I bought a couple of Caviar Black drives...

Sorry to briefly stray off-topic, but MilesAhead I would surely like to know if your HDs are loud. I recently purchased a Caviar Black which I only use occasionally (thankfully) for backup and mine is uncommony loud.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 01:46 PM »
Nope.  Mine are quiet.  I can barely hear the clicking even though mine is in a docking station on my desk and not enclosed.

I'd get the data off and try to find out if that's ok for that particular model(if it's not a Black) but generally drives + noise = heading south soon.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 02:19 PM »
Thanks, I was just curious. Mine is a WD Caviar Black 1TB which some folks report as loud while others report as very quiet. I don't know if that's due to individual differences, WD quality control, or both. In any event, the HD checks out OK with WD's Data Lifeguard Diagnostics.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 05:49 PM »
I almost bought that one.  Then stuff went on sale so I settled for a couple of 750s.  It doesn't matter in my case since it's in a docking station but from what I read the optimum performers on that series are the 500 and 640 GB models.  WD's own stats show slightly better times but nothing drastic.

If I wasn't using them in docks then I'd prolly get the 640s.