ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Help with Toshiba Portege M200 Tablet PC

<< < (2/4) > >>

app103:
Does the malware have a name? Does it pop up any kind of windows that could help identify what it is? Usually a Google search will turn up some ways to remove it and undo it's damage. I am suspecting it is some sort of fake antivirus/security product, so be alert to anything popping up complaining of malware or some other sort of "attacks".

app103:
Save the .reg file at the root of the C drive and you should be able to easily find it from Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Even if you can't see the file, knowing what you named it and where you saved it should allow you to open it.

Deozaan:
Save the .reg file at the root of the C drive and you should be able to easily find it from Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Even if you can't see the file, knowing what you named it and where you saved it should allow you to open it.
-app103 (September 23, 2009, 04:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

I just tried that and even from the command prompt when I attempt to run the .reg file it asks what program to open REG files with.

Unless there are any other tips, I think I don't have much choice but to format completely and reinstall... if I can find an external optical drive that works with this thing.

Does the malware have a name? Does it pop up any kind of windows that could help identify what it is? Usually a Google search will turn up some ways to remove it and undo it's damage. I am suspecting it is some sort of fake antivirus/security product, so be alert to anything popping up complaining of malware or some other sort of "attacks".
-app103 (September 23, 2009, 04:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

No. The only thing that pops up is a Windows Security Alert that says that Avast! is out of date.

Deozaan:
Well I ended up putting the hard drive into another machine that has an optical drive and installing Windows XP.

It appeared to work just fine in the machine I installed Windows on, but after moving the hard drive back into the Toshiba it won't boot windows. Watching the files load while attempting to boot into safe mode I see it gets stuck loading mup.sys.

So I put the hdd back into the laptop with an optical drive and installed Ubuntu. After swapping the hdd back into the Toshiba, Ubuntu boots perfectly. The only problem is that I don't think Ubuntu has any drivers or anything to make use of the touch screen. I can't say so for sure right now though, because I can't download drivers or updates to Ubuntu until I take the Toshiba somewhere I can plug it in using an ethernet cable.

Thanks for all the help.

scancode:
What I did when I had a M200 is to connect the drive to a computer with a CD Drive, booted it using a Windows 98 Boot Floppy converted to CD, fdisk and format /s'd it, copied both Windows XP Tablet PC Edition CDs to \SETUPXP, put the drive back on the TabletPC, booted it up and ran \SETUPXP\I386\WINNT.EXE

Hope it helps.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version