ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Good news for any InfoSelect users

<< < (3/7) > >>

SKesselman:
Hello there , I just ran in to this forum and thought would register just to make this comment since I moved to Mac 3 years ago , and still trying to settle for an InfoSel equivalent !!
-Khalid_FA (September 22, 2009, 01:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hi Khalid, and welcome. Sounds like you take an interest in software, so stick around, you may really enjoy this forum.  :)

...When I headed a major IT dept in 2004 ,  with 50 satellite offices , I wrote to Info Sel to come to an arrangement to develop a version with RTL support so it is usable for Arabic. They told me that it would cost me $120,000 plus buying a licence for each user !!!!!!
--- End quote ---
That doesn't surprise me; miclog has not been known for good customer relations or corporate sales. Or affordable pricing.
I'm not sure if the latter will change, but as I said earlier, they really seem to be getting more involved with their users.
They're responding to requests, as well as posts containing the needless, often harsh, bitching and complaining that has quietly plagued that forum for years.
The first moderating post from Jim Lewis appeared this morning.  :D  :D  :D pointing out the new forum rules.
So, why not go there and ask them if there are any plans for IS running on systems other than windows? At least you'll get a direct answer from miclog.

...So thats my InfoSel experience. As far as the Mac the best close contender is DevonThinkPro Office and Eagle filer . But they are not all in one as InfoSel is, but then you can't compare a Windows to Os X . -Khalid_FA (September 22, 2009, 01:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

I noticed on the IS forum that a few people have switched operating systems, and really miss InfoSelect.
You're right, it really is in a class by itself.
Keep an eye out for an osx version; who knows what improvements they're working on now, or what their future plans are.  :)

rjbull:
I loved Infosel and still do, I have been using it since 1999 and used MemoryMate in the mid and late eighties
--- End quote ---
I used both MM and IS for DOS; bought IS after MM, but went back to MM for most things because it was so clean and simple.

As far as the Mac the best close contender is DevonThinkPro Office and Eagle filer . But they are not all in one as InfoSel is , but then you can't compare a Windows to Os X .

--- End quote ---
Is it possible to run IS on a Mac via an emulator?

IainB:
@SKesselman:
Thanks for your post on this.
My InfoSelect notes record the fact that I bought my first licence (for IS V5.00.14) on 23rd Sep. 1998.
This discussion forum forray is an interesting change from Jim Lewis (the developer). I wonder what triggered it?

(Now, if only you had given some good news about Lotus Agenda too! Over all the years since I started using it in 1990 or so, I have still been unable to find anything to adequately replace Agenda.)

SKesselman:
(Now, if only you had given some good news about Lotus Agenda too! Over all the years since I started using it in 1990 or so, I have still been unable to find anything to adequately replace Agenda.)-IainB (September 23, 2009, 06:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Do you still use Agenda? I used to work at IBM, where I learned that and Lotus Notes.
I too would have loved to have given some good news regarding either one of these programs. I never see anything written about Agenda, anywhere.
Lotus Notes was just the best; I doubt I'll ever find another email client that allows for expanding and collapsing sections.
That was my favorite email feature ever; so I understand about Agenda  :(.

IainB:
@SKesselman:
Hi sue,
No, I do not really "use" Lotus Agenda any more, though I occasionally open it up (runs under DOS) to copy some of the data it contains. I eventually became what you might call a "power user" of Agenda. Between Lotus Agenda and Ashton-Tate's Framework IV, I had most of my PIM (Personal Information Management) needs met.

Yes, Lotus Notes was very good. No relation to Agenda though. I tried to get the New Zealand distributorship rights for Lotus Notes when Lotus planned to release it as shrink-wrapped software after it had been been kept in Lotus' control for several years whilst they developed it and that consultancy (one of the "Big 4", I forget the name) used it and effectively acted as ß tester.

There are some points around the Internet referring to Lotus Agenda. For example, check out "Agenda Rediviva" at:
http://web.mac.com/agenda.rediviva/Info_Site/Agenda_Rediviva.html
- that is supposed to be an attempt to revive/rewrite it, but for the Mac platform, I think. It seems to have made no progress though. (Redolent of the Chandler project?)

I did post an "IDEA" for new Agenda-like software on the DC forum a while back, but no takers. I suspect that more modern generations would not have a clue what it is, and therefore would not want to dig down and develop it, and older one-time assembler programmers like me - who knew Agenda well, but also know our limitations - haven't started to try and develop it, even though we might like to.
I am playing with InfoQube (was SQLNotes) at present, to see what that offers.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version