I am a long time user of BitDefender security packages - AntiVirus and Firewall.
During the first few years, this product was my favorite among the competition.
It was fast, not hogging the computer, had a low number of false positives, not causing any problems, and the technical support was easily available and mostly helpful.
This last year, I believe will be the last year I am paying my yearly fee to BitDefender.
These are the main reasons:
1. It has become quite bloated with many different modules
2. Some modules cause Windows to crash when some applications are running (firewall + file sharing).
3. Technical support is now almost impossible to reach
4. When you finally get to tech support, you get a reply about 50% of the time, with a long delay.
5. The replies you receive from tech support, either tell you to download a new version (which was unaccessible at the time of trying) or to run a long sequence of debugging and "memory dump" to send to their technicians - as if I am paid to do QA on their products.
6. Searching their own forums for the same problem as I encountered, revealed many other people have it - they all get a personal "check your email" reply as an answer.
I am not sure yet which security package I will use next, and if it will be a free one or a paid one, but in my book, a paying customer needs to get access to customer service.
I hate to see BitDefender go down like this, but unless I can access a helpful tech support hand, and/or a stable product, I am out.